Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Old AO was cool

Hybrid View

Old AO was cool

May be it's just me, I feel old AO much more like Home, this new design is just like every other forums...not like AntiOnline.

The old AO site was somewhat unique...this is a standard vBulletin site with AO features crammed in.

Personally, and no disrespect intended to mynstralgirl who had a huge job to do, it's way too crowded.

I can't wait to see what the old guard has to say about this!

/me
    sees a flame war in the future!

Banned
    i agree, the old way was the best..
    even if you where able to bring back the main portal page, and just update the forum area that would be awesome..

but it's looking really lame at the moment, nothing matches,and it's just cramped..

And it's horribly flat...no shadows or add-ons to give it depth...it looks like it's on a piece of paper...no depth at all.

And you can tell the buttons from the old site look like they were cut out...you can still see the white around the edges and it's not even even.
    Last edited by Egaladeist; October 17th, 2006 at 03:02 PM.

Come on folks, give us just a little time to get things going here. It took two solid days of work just to get the forum software upgraded to this point. There were so many hacks added to the old software that it was impossible to upgrade. We've taken the steps that we had to take to make the upgrade possible. Now we can focus on working on the look and feel of the site.

The old homepage didn't use vbPortal or vbAdvanced or vbIndex, it was just a complete hack that was created for that specific version of vBulletin, and it won't work with the current version. So we're doing the best we can right now with what we have, and we're working very hard to bring the site up to current security standards at the same time--just please be patient while we work through this upgrade process.
    Thanks,
    Scott (intmon)

Quote Originally Posted by intmon
    Come on folks, give us just a little time to get things going here. It took two solid days of work just to get the forum software upgraded to this point. There were so many hacks added to the old software that it was impossible to upgrade. We've taken the steps that we had to take to make the upgrade possible. Now we can focus on working on the look and feel of the site.

The old homepage didn't use vbPortal or vbAdvanced or vbIndex, it was just a complete hack that was created for that specific version of vBulletin, and it won't work with the current version. So we're doing the best we can right now with what we have, and we're working very hard to bring the site up to current security standards at the same time--just please be patient while we work through this upgrade process.
    Thanks,
    Scott (intmon)

So what you are telling us is that you did /not/ test this before rolling out to production? Why? I mean it is standard practice to create a test environment for QA purposes if you are going to impact a production environment, and this was certainly a production impact.

If you had run QA on this the you would have all of these problems figured out already... and the site wouldn't have been down for 2 days, nor would you have anyone really complaining about the look/feel of the place.

So far I'm not impressed with the new look at all. Cramped is a good word for it, and not at all intuitive in the layout.

**EDIT**

I'll give it time, and I'm sure at some point I'll become used to it but as of now I don't like it. I also don't understand why there are two different username/password fields on the main page. One on the top right, the other on the middle left above the thread listings. I only saw it when I wasn't logged in to the site. I'm sure you are working on it, but I thought I would give a heads up anyway.
    Last edited by Lv4; October 17th, 2006 at 05:25 PM.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Good Job on the site. Obviously was a ton of work. I'm sure there will be bugs to iron out over the next few weeks (as to be expected) but, I think I can get used to this new style forum.
    In any event, it's the information that's important, not the way you present it.(IMO).
    As for the AP/Reputation system, I could care less either way. It really doesn't even show that someone produces good information (just because they have 11 green dots--I mean, look at me)
    Maybe a voting system where people can cast votes for good posts and if a post receives enough votes, it can then be reviewed by a moderator and assigned some kind of quality points?
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Those are not the buttons from the old site. Those are the buttons from this version. I see the white edges also, but we didn't cut anything from anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Those are not the buttons from the old site. Those are the buttons from this version. I see the white edges also, but we didn't cut anything from anywhere.
    My error then...nevertheless, they still look like cut and paste.

Hi intmon,

I realize it's still must be very much a work in progress...that's why it's good to get not only kudos from members but also on-point criticisms...referred to normally as feedback.

The old site had character...whatever internal or board conflicts there was...there was a definite character to the place...

this place very much lacks character now...it's bland and flat. And those blue cut-out buttons look silly and out of place...they stand out like a blue duck in the desert.

Eg
    Last edited by Egaladeist; October 17th, 2006 at 03:26 PM.