Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Old AO was cool

hi Neg,

I'll admit when it comes to major forum upgrades where the original forum is laden with modifications to the point where it is virtually a unique entity I don't know the problems associated with downloading a copy of the forum/datadase while leaving the original up while you work on the copy...and then upload the new version in it's place.

Still...I am offering honest criticisms...suggestions to help the site...or so I believe...I could just be sitting back laughing my a## off at how ugly it looks...but I'm not...I am trying to help in the limited way I can.

Eg
    Last edited by Egaladeist; October 18th, 2006 at 12:02 AM.

i see fewer than 300 peeps in the site since the upgrade. used to always 500 plus or more. right now there are just 133 users online.

anything to do with the upgrade or the rest of 200 odd surfers are taking a halloween break?
    Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble

Quote Originally Posted by The Texan
    I thought I would weigh in now... I for one dont like this new format but im not gonna go on and on bitching because I personally have no way of changing anything, just wanted to say I dont like it no offense to others who worked on it.
    Dont confuse bitching with feedback and constructive criticism.

When you say-I don't like it. it does sound like subtle bitching.
    Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble

FAQ: You may find a small menu on thread pages which allows you to 'rate this thread' with a number between 1-5.
    So how do I neg BS threads.

Silva KO'd Rich Franklin in the first round and North Korea has nukes. Now there's some issues..

Edit: Never mind - found it, it wasn't for this one... ROTFLMAO
    Last edited by Relyt; October 18th, 2006 at 05:20 AM.
    Connection refused, try again later.

Sorry The Texan but I have to agree with chizra...it's fine to just state your opinion, but for a comment to be considered ' feedback ' you have to explain why you feel that way and offer some remedy if you can.

It's one thing to say: this looks very nasty
    and
    another thing to say: this looks very nasty...and this is why...and if possible, this is what I think you should do.

The former has no benefit...the latter does.

The site looks like crap because it's cramped and looks flat and bland.
    The AP system should be tossed for a more adult approach...reward and punishment is OK for kids and for training canines...we're supposed to be adults. The only redeeming quality the AP/Rep system has is it allows the membership to act in a group as a mod when the mods are not available to perform their jobs themselves....which could easily be resolved by adding more mods and dividing spots according to time zones.

Eg

A new coat of paint

How hard would it be to try to mimic some of the old layout? I undertsand that many of the old features will be missing. I guess many of the changes that users requested over the years had to be eliminated for some back end issues.They were modifications that were "hacks" into the old code.However some of the cosmetics of the old site shouldn't be to hard to duplicate. Actually I kind of like the new interface. It has a raw feel to it. Now we can spend the next couple of years "requesting" other features. Moving from access 2.0 to 8.0(whew..what a jump!) was an important move. It will take some time to learn how to navigate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Negative
    It seems like those who complained the most about the old design have found something new to complain about...
    come on neg don't play the politician. you know the old version was much more appealing. regardless of how many updates they do to this unoriginal, terrible, ugly ass AO, it will never even be closed to the same layout we've enjoyed for the last 5 years. Jupiter Media could at least give us the courtesy of saying they want to destroy this site, rather than act like its going to get better eventually by all these lame ass updates. it looks like a ****ing twelve year old put this forum up and slapped some advertisements at the top. In the past, I've only complained about things that mattered, for instance, IRC being taken away. But jesus neg, like i said before, you don't like this new layout any better than any of us.

Not trying to take shots at anyone, because I like you neg, nihil, etc. but it seems like the mods are the only ones standing up for this, and those who arent, are more concerned about their rep on this site as opposed to their actual membership and enjoyment/info garnered from the site itself. This **** is so weak, and even though I haven't been that active in a couple years, if it's not changed for the better, I'm gonna miss AO, cause its not even AO anymore.

I got a question that had nothing to do with the layout..
    If you view the source of the site, you can see the ccs. Shouldn't this be an extern file?
    Got it Memorized?

I like the new layout for the home page...the old version seemed to have a jumble of options in the left-hand column. This new layout seems more streamlined (although I can sympathize with those who fear and reject change :P).

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Eg, I guess you are correct I really dont like this new layout at all personally I think it sucks its all crammed together and I dont know where anything is. The reason I didnt state this before is because I was trying to be polite and I realized that as much as I may bitch personally they wont change it just on my opinion alone. But alas you have pulled my true feelings out of me I mean no disrespect to anyone personally involved I just dont like this layout at all.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted