Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Old AO was cool

It used to be the about.com orange balloon...now it's the vBulletin checkmark.

We'll put a custom favicon there I think.

ok. If you turn off the whole ap - rep system, I'll come out of retirement. Like anyone gives a S**t about me or my contributions.

However, you guys should keep in mind that the karma system of closing threads was one of the things that made this site Unique. I mean if it's just reps, what would distinguish AO from SecurityFocus or the other numerous boards out there?

And my two cents about the upgrade...

Haven't you guys ever heard of a dev environment?

Sorry intmon and JPnyc I'm in the middle of a huge upgrade myself and that just made me feel good. Thanks.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

The forum was dev-ed 1st, and it was tested by us and by the moderator crew. We couldn't make it live for everyone, but we did test.

I know that - Just ribbing you guys. I mean, AND I AM NOT LYING. A users car caught on fire in the parking lot this morning. Somehow is was a result of the upgrade. Really - I was asked if the upgrade had anything to do with the fire.

I may be a Bastard but - Damn
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Believe me, I understand. mnstrgrl worked on this 48 hrs straight this weekend, and 24 hrs last weekend, when the upgrade failed. I spent a couple days styling the forum to look as much as possible like the old one, and have been dealing with this forum since 4:45am. Upgrades are never fun.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    The forum was dev-ed 1st, and it was tested by us and by the moderator crew. We couldn't make it live for everyone, but we did test.
    then why are you still having to iron out look/feel? Shouldn't that have been part of your QA/Dev environment first? To me it still feels like this was rushed out and never tested. Upgrade path issues, hack mod issues, look issues, etc... looks rushed and shoddy but that is just my opinion.

I know you guys have a hard and thankless job, and I'm not trying to heap on more complaints but I am going to voice my opinion on this.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

We're not. This was the look we agreed upon. We matched what we had as closely as we could, but the fact is, it's a different version, and there are cosmetic and functional differences. But it had to be done sometime. Couldn't run an ancient version forever. Wasn't even supported by vbulletin anymore, and there were so many customizations that it wasn't really a vbulletin format anymore anyway.

JPNyc since you seem to looking at this thread often I will pose a couple questions for you here.

First, is addicts gone or has it been made that you can only see it once you reach addicts status.

Second, what were the post counts change to, so that your title will change?

Third, I am not sure if this is an error or not but the search function is acting up. I tried to search for a post by a person prior to update and wouldn't allow me, then I tried to search for a post after the update and it still wouldn't allow me.

Fourth, a black dot means that the rep. system for that person is off, but I can still assign RP's to a person that has a black dot. Though it doesn't matter it is odd that you still allow this to happen.

Addicts is hidden, but present. I have to check into the 2nd, it's the default setting though.

I will take care of the search issues tonight. The re-indexing uses a lot of system resource and is best done at night.

I'm not sure that, even though you can assign rep points, that it actually has any affect. I will check tomorrow.