Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Old AO was cool

When I work on a car I always get it running first...I worry about the paint job later. So I guess I can be patient with the simple cosmetics here.

Quote Originally Posted by intmon
    Come on folks, give us just a little time to get things going here. It took two solid days of work just to get the forum software upgraded to this point. There were so many hacks added to the old software that it was impossible to upgrade. We've taken the steps that we had to take to make the upgrade possible. Now we can focus on working on the look and feel of the site.

The old homepage didn't use vbPortal or vbAdvanced or vbIndex, it was just a complete hack that was created for that specific version of vBulletin, and it won't work with the current version. So we're doing the best we can right now with what we have, and we're working very hard to bring the site up to current security standards at the same time--just please be patient while we work through this upgrade process.
    Thanks,
    Scott (intmon)

So what you are telling us is that you did /not/ test this before rolling out to production? Why? I mean it is standard practice to create a test environment for QA purposes if you are going to impact a production environment, and this was certainly a production impact.

If you had run QA on this the you would have all of these problems figured out already... and the site wouldn't have been down for 2 days, nor would you have anyone really complaining about the look/feel of the place.

So far I'm not impressed with the new look at all. Cramped is a good word for it, and not at all intuitive in the layout.

**EDIT**

I'll give it time, and I'm sure at some point I'll become used to it but as of now I don't like it. I also don't understand why there are two different username/password fields on the main page. One on the top right, the other on the middle left above the thread listings. I only saw it when I wasn't logged in to the site. I'm sure you are working on it, but I thought I would give a heads up anyway.
    Last edited by Lv4; October 17th, 2006 at 05:25 PM.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Good Job on the site. Obviously was a ton of work. I'm sure there will be bugs to iron out over the next few weeks (as to be expected) but, I think I can get used to this new style forum.
    In any event, it's the information that's important, not the way you present it.(IMO).
    As for the AP/Reputation system, I could care less either way. It really doesn't even show that someone produces good information (just because they have 11 green dots--I mean, look at me)
    Maybe a voting system where people can cast votes for good posts and if a post receives enough votes, it can then be reviewed by a moderator and assigned some kind of quality points?
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

I find it odd that so many people dislike the AP system but so often use it as a popularity contest. The very people that are saying get rid of it are going to be the ones behind the scenes complaining because they are no longer Gods. IMHO leave the thing alone. What's the worse it will do in place insure a few people don't decide to commit massive suicide? It would be good if people could use the system for what it was intended for but guess that is too much to ask.

I do have a question. If you hit 1k reputation points. Can you have the system turned off for yourself?

I think that would be a nice inbetween. At 1k RP's you will more than likely never be RP banned.

IMHO the old site was better. I fully agree with the others. Maybe I'll get use to this but it will take some time.

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    looks AWFUL
    and it is harder to nav around
    I'll adapt, but it took me bloody ages to figue out the OLD setup
    and now THIS

and just what IS a rep anyway
    and why do some have a pop up style balloon thingy when you hover cursor over their AP gif, and some don't [all 11 green gifs on the ones I noticed]
    MsM has one but nokia don't

I'm still looking where to set me avatar up again
    agree about the QA set up
    it should have been tested
    this site is not run by unpaid personnel

just not professional looking ATM
    hurry up with the finishing touches

and dump the rep / AP malarky
    who needs it
    I was #8 in the old system, and that HAS to make you wonder ...........
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

And just where have my legions of leaping lepricorns who were trying to steal my big pot of AP's got too.........they were the only reason for getting them!

Ouch... makes my eyes hurt. This will take some getting used to...
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

Yeah give them some time. I bet they can make this really nice.
    If you have time teach me I\'m eager to learn.

Also, if everyone prefers, the poster info doesn't have to be on top as it is now. It can be moved back to the left as in the old version