Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Old AO was cool

Quote Originally Posted by The Texan
    But alas you have pulled my true feelings out of me
    i hope i was also a part of that pulling and shoving!

I think our opinions do count and a forum is after all a community. It would thrive if it has good members. I am a bit sad to see the user browsing numbers which are down drastically since the upgrade. These are days of good looking websites..web 2.0..our neighbours taz have got a great looking thing going on.

amen
    Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Just to add in my 2c

As an ex developer/manager of a large system (An EPoS System with ~ 500K lines of code & heavily normalised database behind it) I think that with the resources available to perform this upgrade then it's been a roaring sucess.

I also like the look & feel and while I am finding it a little difficult to get around the site, it's getting easier all the time.

I agree with Nihil, keep the RP system since it is an effective way of killing the trolls.

Well done to all, keep up the good work. I know it's difficult to get users to accept change (I still dream about the roll-out I did on my EPoS system to 1500 users).

Don't react to every moan about design etc. Get some rest & a little perspective.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Both JPNYC and mnstgrl, I believe, are getting downtime. I think what a lot of people were not aware of was the amount of hacks that this site had originally. The fact that this took two tries -- even with a test devel site done previously and working -- indicates that nothing is perfect and Murphy's Law will rear it's ugly head when we least expect it. My understanding from previous, brief discussions with mnstgrl indicates that the original site was so far from an actual vBulletin forum that I almost thought they would have to do a complete from scratch (that is, trash all the old posts and create a new forum). They avoided that. They tried to keep as much from the old in this new forum. There may yet still be some cosmetic features to put in so it would be nice if people were a little more patient.

That all said, it is interesting that:

1. many disliked the old forum because of <insert complaint here>

2. many dislike this new one because of <insert complaint here>

3. Lots of people like to complain and hear themselves complain

4. There are many good suggestions put forward but how you word a suggestion can come across in a negative fashion, intentional or otherwise.

5. All of this will fall on deaf ears and people will repeat steps 1, 2 and 3

6. Mod suggests everyone gets a beer and all ends up quiet on the front.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMittens
    Both JPNYC and mnstgrl, I believe, are getting downtime. I think what a lot of people were not aware of was the amount of hacks that this site had originally. The fact that this took two tries -- even with a test devel site done previously and working -- indicates that nothing is perfect and Murphy's Law will rear it's ugly head when we least expect it
    I'm fully familiar with that story. I turned up at the first one of our stores to upgrade to the new system. At 10.15am I pulled the plug, put the old system back & then had to re-key all the transactions from the new system onto the old system

2 Weeks later I had another go, this time it worked.

Thankfully, I don't have to deal with that kind of stress anymore. I have gone to the dark side and I now do business analysis.

Drat, 5 hourse before I get off work.
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Hi MsM,

That all said, it is interesting that:

1. many disliked the old forum because of <insert complaint here>
    The only person I remember who ever complained about the old forum was Spec...he thought many of the features were useless. Of course I don't read every thread.

2. many dislike this new one because of <insert complaint here>
    The top three: look, navigation, and AP/Rep system

3. Lots of people like to complain and hear themselves complain
    True...but in this case I think the responses are genuine.

4. There are many good suggestions put forward but how you word a suggestion can come across in a negative fashion, intentional or otherwise.
    True.

5. All of this will fall on deaf ears and people will repeat steps 1, 2 and 3
    I expect so

You buying?

Eg

It's not half as bad as i expected it to be. I'm sure it will be easier to look at it after about a week once you get more used to the design. I used to admin a site with about 100 000 members and when we did upgrades to it no one liked it. Give it a few weeks and it will be fine. People just need time to get used to it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." ~ Henry Ford

Well the old AO was better in my opinion due to the look and feel of the site.

This one is good on the front that the pages load quickly as i have a slow connection.

It'll take some getting used to but the only thing that is constant is change. So its good !!
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

AOs Resident Troll
    today it looks better the way the threads are laid out...everything back to the left....easier to read then everything all on top...

From my experience....most people hate change...they will get used to it....

all I can say is what a bunch of freaken whinners...geez...

<roll eyes>

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay
    today it looks better the way the threads are laid out...everything back to the left....easier to read then everything all on top...

From my experience....most people hate change...they will get used to it....

all I can say is what a bunch of freaken whinners...geez...

<roll eyes>

MLF
    Awww your just upset it's beer their giving out and not wine...

I kinda like the new look, some different issues with Firefox though for copy/paste, have to use ctrl + v to paste, but it's easier on my Java...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

I didn't realize that it was the format of the site that made AO what it is. I always thought it was the members. What a dumshite I am.