Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old vs. New AO

Old vs. New AO

No, before you get it in your head that this is a bitch thread it's not. It is actually quite the opposite.

JPNyc since you seem to be reading threads. I figured I would allow you to understand why there is such an outpore by members saying old ao was better, this sucks and death to the none believers.

The easiest way to explain why members are in such an uproar about the new layout is because it no longer sets AO apart. AO has become a sanctuary for people. Many a person that has been around here for years has gone through the good the bad, and everything between here. They have friends that they talk to outside of the site. People they have met.

So with changing the layout of the site, it makes the site no longer any different from the thousands of other computer security sites out there. It is just another one in the many now.

While I am sure the Jupmed corp thought long and hard about the change over, you can't compute or plan out how people are going to react.

I know it sounds kinda childish but, people had gotten attached to the layout that AO had for so many years, they knew where everything was, they had, had it for so long that it had become as much a part of the site as any contributing member.

While, I don't believe the update to be a complete waste as some others do, I do believe that the update was thrusted upon the members. While it is your site, the members make the site, and like it or not if 25% of the seniors/knowledgable people left the site, this baby would go down in flames faster than Michael Jacksons hair.

Since Im sure you haven't heard it much recently good job, and thanks. Even with the apparent bugs, you seem to be busting your @ss to get them fixed a.s.a.p. with as little problems as possible.

Thanks, and I do understand. But there was simply no choice any longer. The site was too antiquated and couldn't be updated any other way. Vb had long ago stopped supporting the version, and it was so customized that none of their patches worked on it anyway. There was nothing else that could be done.

It was a constant source of problems and breakdowns, even the simplest operation was a bear to do here. It had to be done. For the longest time we weren't even sure it COULD be done. But it was basically done by hand, piece by piece, by 2 people, mnstrgrl and myself.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Maybe I'm insane but, I like the new layout. Even if I didn't, it wouldn't make any difference. There's alot of very intelligent people here and that won't change. If I have a problem that needs answers, I won't think to myself "oh damn, I would have gone to AO but I don't like the way it looks."
    Whatever it is, it is. Let's move on.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Thank you! I like it better myself, but what I like doesn't matter either.

In this kind of enviroment it's not what anyone thinks, it's a percentage of what people think.
    And this is the internet...I've left two sites prior to joining here because of navigation or other problems...ok, it's great to say, the members will adjust...the members will adjust because they're members...newbies will just move on if they have problems navigating the site or get a freaky log-on...they're not going to be as patient as a member...they're not going to stick around while you work out the bugs...they'll just go someplace easier and someplace easier on the eyes.
    This is not just about us...there's a bigger picture...if I was to just see this now as a newbie...I wouldn't even bother...wouldn't waste my time...there's so many sites out there now that if I had to spend more than a few minutes joining and figuring things out I'd move on to a more accomodating forum...
    you can expect a certain amount of ' OK, the bugs will get worked out ' from members...' the site looks like crap but I'll live with it '...
    I'm not sure you'll get the same reaction from visitors who are looking for a comfortable, easy, and nice-looking forum to join.

The simple fact is this is the internet...where everyone wants it faster and faster...easier and easier...there are just too many options for people out there for you to do such a dramatic change and not expect a lot of negative reaction.

Eg
    Last edited by Egaladeist; October 19th, 2006 at 09:27 PM.

That's hard to believe though, since all our forums run the same software, with varying color schemes, and many have huge numbers of users. Couple of them regularly around 1600 online at a given time during the day. The color schemes vary but the basic format and navigation are all the same, at least where the forum itself is concerned.

I'm a member of two other forums in your network...including your bread n' butter traffic hound Webdeveloper.com...and they are nothing like this.

As superficial as it may be...instinctively...people look for what is pleasing to the eye...their eye...whether that's a home, a car, clothes, women, or a forum...then...they look for speed and functionality.
    Last edited by Egaladeist; October 19th, 2006 at 09:36 PM.

How is that nothing like this? The navigation is identical. What is different?

Banned
    Can you say "hidden agenda"...

The look is very different...and it's the look, as I said previously, that is the first impression...do you buy clothes you don't like...a sterio..television...home...people are first and formost attracted to what pleases their eye.

Neg,

I have no ' hidden agenda ' that's just paranoia...I am expressing my opinion...I would think that feedback would be what you want...

unless JupMed dosen't care what members think...then that's different....and I suspect that's probably the case.
    Last edited by Egaladeist; October 19th, 2006 at 09:46 PM.