Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Firefox 2.0 come and gettit!

There is a new advisory out that indicates there is a remote denial of service exploit in Firefox 1.5.0.7 and Firefox 2. The original post indicated that there could be a buffer overflow and remote code execution component, but as of 10/31 this has not been verified. This exploit will occur when a specifically crafted webpage tries to create a range object with "createRange". So far it will only make the browser crash.
    http://isc.sans.org/ - Full story.

Cheers:
    DjM

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Is this going to auto-update for FF like all the other releases, or is this a special case because it's a new full release?

I wish I knew the answer to that - I know that in the past, FF wouldn't autoupdate from say 1.04 to something like 1.5.0.7, so I'm wondering if the 'major' releases won't? As soon as I heard the news that FF v2.0 was released I downloaded and installed, I never waited for autoupdate.

As far as the X on the tabs, I love it - I was using the TabX extension in 1.5.07 to make an X appear on each individual tab and I'm glad it's built into FF by default now - but I can understand individuals not liking the way it's setup now - individual close buttons just worked for me...

Overall, I love FF v2.0....

EDIT: Opps, just saw this post by Moira:
    Firefox only updates on point releases, not on major new versions.
    If that is in fact the truth, then that seems to confirm what I've noticed in the past...
    Last edited by Maverick811; November 2nd, 2006 at 01:35 PM.
    - Maverick

Yeah it didn't auto-update and I didn't bother to DL it.