Thread: I need help with my TV Tuner Card please!

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

I need help with my TV Tuner Card please!

I recently bought a TV Tuner card from newegg.com its a KWORLD VS-TV7133 3DYC PCI Interface TV Tuner Expert PVR-TV Card. I can "watch" tv fine... audio and video work BUT when I go to "record" something I can only hear the audio no video at all! ( I save it in AVI format so I can replay it in WMP) but when I go to replay it in windows media player I cant hear nor see anything at all! idk what is going on? any help would be much appreciated! thanx alot-Tyler
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hi Tyler,

Can you save it in a different format and use another player.

Have you looked at the files you saved............like there is something in them?

Nihil, we i run the file in WMP the "progress bar" goes across like it is actually playing something but I hear no sound or see no video.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hi Tyler,

What I was trying to do was figure out where the problem is. You say that it will play TV and audio so that bit works.

So, is the problem that it isn't recording correctly or that it isn't playing correctly. That is why I was interested if the file size looked reasonable.

I would try burning something to a CD/DVD and see if it will play it from that?

Also check that you have all the latest codecs.

yes, im sorry if I wasnt clear... It plays correctly but it doesnt record correctly. I guess that is more of a settings issue that I need to figure out but I have read the instructions and it still doesnt work!
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hmmmm,

1. How big are the files? If you record 10 minutes of TV, does WMP recognise the file as 10 minutes or does it zip through it very quickly?

2. Try recording to a CD and playing it on another machine.

3. Try a different player/format.

4. Make sure that the drivers are compatible with the version of WMP that you are using.

Just Another Geek
    What kind of codecs are used? AVI doesn't tell us anything, it's just a container format and it says absolutely nothing about audio/video formats.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

You might try this site:

avicodec.duby.info/

It has links to a number of codec packs and a tool to tell you what you will need for what you are producing.

I must say that I am surprised that you haven't mentioned any error messages. WMP usually comes out with something like "unrecognised file format" when it finds an AVI with contents it doesn't have a codec for.

That is what makes me ask if you have checked the files for valid content.

Also, check your WMP settings. There should be an option to get it to go look for codecs if it hasn't got them.

ok a couple more things: I say that I cant hear or see anything when I run it in WMP but also it doesnt record in the program itself. let me explain: lets say I am "watching" the news on my pc since I now have this tv tuner card everything works fine. then I hit the "capture or record button" the screen goes black and i hear audio but I see no picture. if I stop the recording the picture and sound comes back. then I open WMP to play what I just saved and it acts like its working ( plays for the appropreiate amount of time) but I cant see nor hear anything. I do have a webcam that I think MIGHT be part of the issue... I have to work today so I wont really have time to mess with it but I will get back to you and see if unplugging my webcam solves the problem.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted