12 20.69%
  • XP (2000/98/ME) is fine by me.

26 44.83%
  • Do we need a vista poll?

8 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How long till you adopt Vista?

And that's precisely the reason i never jump at new versions of any software. I prefer to wait'll these kinds of issues are entirely worked out and gone. Forget about beta software altogether. Never touch it.

Well maybe when Super Ultra Mega Platinum yay PWNED buy it now ueber leet edition has proven itself somewhere...Obviously I'm making a pun on the naming scheme.

AOs Resident Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    so on.

The real downside as I see it, is all but one of my machines that are capable of running it would need a new video card That I think is a bit of an oversight on MS's part as most office/small business deployments don't really need a fancy graphics card.
    Yeah...I have found that also....video card issues...

Apps dont need it...but VISTA does....

AFAIK................the new UI is bloated and it needs all the resources you can through at it....dont want video pulling resources from other functions.....

Windows Vista has a new User Interface (UI) called Aero, and if your system meets certain high-end graphics requirements, you get Aero Glass. In Aero Glass, elements of the windows are translucent, and dialog boxes open in an expanding fashion, starting off small and growing larger as if approaching.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/abo..._092805_2.mspx

MLF

edit> I cant get the fricken quotes to work properly...any tips????

edit edit>>>>>>never mind...I figured out what was wrong
    Last edited by morganlefay; November 3rd, 2006 at 05:28 PM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

What's wrong with the quotes? They appear ok to me

Ill get vista around the same time that I graduate from Law School. (Which will be in 3 years.) Then so I can actually understand wtf. M$ crazy license for this one is going to cover.

i'd wait till sometime..i ran windows 95 for 4 years, '98 for eight odd years and now xp for 2 years..each overlapping the latest release by atleast an year..i generally upgrade very late. But as and when i do, i'd assemble a new rig for myself..handmade.
    Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble

It was interesting that a Dell senior executive said that Vista probably required 2Gb of RAM rather than the 1Gb that Microsoft claim.

I'm running an official copy of RC1 64 bit version as a dual boot option on my spare PC and I have mixed views about it. Unless Biostar bring out fan control drivers, it will never be my OS on there because running the fans at 100% is not an acceptable option.

On the other hand, I'm happy enough with onboard graphics here - they're good as onboard graphics go, and I'm no gamer. I take objection to buying a 3D graphics card just to get the full potential out of Vista!

So really neither PC is great for Vista, but as soon as I'm able to get a copy of Ultimate, I'll probably use it. Since it's going to be early next year before it's officially released, I'm not even thinking about it yet. What puzzles me is why they've chosen to bring it out for businesses first? Don't they realize no business is going to install it on hundreds of PCs until it's at least proved itself stable? IT equipment usually works on roughly a 5 year turnaround and you'd be surprised what rubbish is out there I know, I have to use it!

I can't see that many businesses rushing out to upgrade all their users to Vista for quite some time and personally I'd have liked to see it available to Home users first.

AOs Resident Troll
    Nevermind JPnyc...

I figures it out..

PEBKAC

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Well Moira, I think that the idea is that businesses generally have professional IT staff to test software before it is deployed. Naturally, MS would prefer to deal with them than with home users.

I guess that MS make more money out of corporate customers than home users.