Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network speed issues

Question Network speed issues

I recently got a new 10/100/100 switch and 2 cards to match, one installed on a Windows XP sp2 box and the other in a fedora core 2 box, both are showing up as Gbit. My problem is as I am transferring files I only get about 1.5% network utilization, both computers at over 2ghz and have 1gig of ram per PC. Dose anyone know why I am not getting more throughput or is that all I should expect? Thanks very much in advance.

Dead Man Walking
    Okay at the risk of sounding goofy have you checked your ethernet cable? Is it a new cable or an old one you had laying around. Is it cat5 or cat6?

You might want to check that both of the cards are in full duplex mode. that is the only way you are going to get gigabit is if you are using all of the wires.
    \\\\Everlasting

Cables are both cat 5e and working according to a fluke and the switch(amber for 100, green for 1000 according to book), and i have both set to full dulpex.

Thanks for the ideas so far.
    Last edited by Jakus; November 4th, 2006 at 11:47 PM.

hmm all out of ideas. gl figure'n it out
    \\\\Everlasting

Dead Man Walking
    Okay another oddball thought here. Have you checked the actual speeds? Not the % but find out how long it takes to transfer files? Sometimes the various "monitors" can be somewhat misleading. Also you have the drivers properly installed on BOTH machines? Do you have another windows box you could test it out with? it may be a problem in samba.

For the hell of it, set your Duplex to "Auto"...let the switch assing the duplex settings for your NIC's...I know you set Full Duplex and the cards will handle, but most of the time, its best to let the switch do the negotiation.

You might also set up one machine as a "HTTP" server and see what it says your download rate is when your pulling a file off of one of the other machines.

Also, what box are you using to push and pull the file?
    =

A little more on set up, my linux box is acting as the file sever running samba. I have the drive maped to the windows computer that is downloading the files. I am getting ready to switch to auto as soon as I get done posting, I will let you know how it gose.

Once more thank you for the sugestion.
    Last edited by Jakus; November 5th, 2006 at 02:42 AM.

I started httpd and used yes >> index.html to make a rather large web page, upon connection things looked up it shot my ulitization up to 12.5% but it soon fell to 1% once more as the page continued to load for another 48 sec.

So this is just testing your connection by serving web pages?

Put a file on their...say something greater than 100MB, then download it...see what kind of speed you get on that here and post it.
    =