Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu for your family...

Ubuntu for your family...

also from digg...

http://scienceblogs.com/thescian/200...nts_uncles.php

short but sweet just wanted to post this which confirms that others agree w/ what i said here : http://antionline.com/showthread.php...311#post912311

(You are WRONG HTRegz ... feel free to tear his post down like you always do
    I won't curse at you this time...)
    Last edited by very_unhappy; November 15th, 2006 at 05:06 PM.
    /dev/humor: not found

I am personally not impressed by ubuntu, but that is my own opinion.

I've had mega problems with it too, but intend giving it another go tomorrow, will let you know how it goes.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

There are a number of things that weren't demonstrated in this blog posting...

Most likely his Flash is beta... which isn't a great thing... and now that he's away his parents will not be able to easily get their flash updates as they would if they were running Windows..

He didn't mention disable services.. so now they've got a basic user account with probably an easy to remember password... and SSH sitting open..

He had to get additional hardware for their internet to work..

You have yet to prove anything... this is another linux-zealot promoting Ubuntu for a very basic computer user (Which I believe in your last thread I said would be somewhat OK)...

In fact
    Ubuntu is like SuSE and only slightly better than most other Linux distributions.. in that it is geared for two types of people.. Person A is highly technical... Person B knows nothing about computers and emails her grandchildren and surfs the web for recipes... The inbetween people.. there still isn't a Linux for them... Linspire might actually come closest... Linux still has a ways to go...
    There's exactly what I said... this is what his parents are doing... I could argue this but you:
    A) Are a Linux Zealot
    B) Don't listen to reason
    C) Really have no clue.

Peace,
    HT

Hmmmm,

"Linux for parents"............. it would have to be Linspire in my book, although MAC OS X is a technical contender, apart from the hardware limitations?

I have field tested Linspire in a home for "mentally challenged" people, and it was every bit as good as Windows, apart from the fact that there is far less choice of software.

Just my thoughts

I really take exception to that sweeping, patronising statement, "Person B knows nothing about computers and emails her grandchildren and surfs the web for recipes."

Whoever said it is making a very ignorant statement. Why the hell should you associate lack of computer knowledge with grandmothers and arrogantly assume you know what people are doing online? I'm not a grandmother, but I am a parent and I know more than my kids about PCs because I'm interested in doing more than just downloading music and chatting on MSN. To assume anyone over the age of say, 60, is incapable of what is pretty basic computer use (let's face it, you don't need the brains of Einstein to use linux and anyone can learn programming given enough time), is being really sexist/ageist. That statement might have been truish 10 years ago, but computers are mainstream now and often retired people have a lot more time to spend learning about their use than a younger generation, stuck in full time jobs and more interested in going out than spending their evenings online.

For the record, I work in a large call centre with a lot of young people, and believe me, most of them are pretty useless when it comes to computers.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

HTRegz ... you say Linux Zealot like it’s a bad thing. I believe in the OS philosophy as opposed to MS monopoly. What do you believe in? Oh, I forgot… you are “the voice of reason”. Maybe your parent / grandparents are just dumb.

Let’s say that non-tech. Ppl can’t install Ubuntu and all its features as easily as Windows and someone has to help them. According to you we’d just keep the dummies on Windows so they can call next week w/ infestation that can only be cleared by reformat. Whatever!

Well put Moira.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Hmmmm,

"Linux for parents"............. it would have to be Linspire in my book, although MAC OS X is a technical contender, apart from the hardware limitations?

I have field tested Linspire in a home for "mentally challenged" people, and it was every bit as good as Windows, apart from the fact that there is far less choice of software.

Just my thoughts
    Which lines up with what I said (and you don't often see nihil and I agree)..

Moira: Why would you take exception to that... It's an example.. Everything gets put into context at some point.. I spent a year training people in a public access facility and two and a half year supporting invidiuals at a college, half of the 30,000 students were "Adult" students... in both cases it was the "Adults" and more often than not the 'Older Adults' that were coming in for support and training... When people discuss computers and lack of knowledge, they usually see that little old lady who emails her grandchildren once a week and talks to them on MSN... it's in the commercials, on the TV... everywhere... I picked a generalization and went with it... so chill... I could be rude and make a comment about call center lifers (I spent time in call centers as well... but I was in college and it was a good part-time job and I've seen the people that work there I've also see the "Adults" that pass the training and then claim to more than the young people yet sit and fubar everything... and yes.. I've also see the reverse)... regardless chill.. I made a generalization.. and I picked a pretty popular one in today's society... Turn on the TV.. it's exactly what you'll see.

very_unhappy: Considering you add zero content to this site... I'm extremely tempted to ban you... You are a zealot.. something that the security community frowns upon... There is no "OS Philosophy vs MS Monopoly"... that's something a linux zealot uses to argue their "zealotness"... There is no philosophy related to operating systems... Just as there is no philosophy related to software (FOSS people can take their "philosophy" and shove it for the most part)... That's why most of the people that claim it's a "philosophy" can be categorized and generalized against... They're the hippies that never got the 60s and Operating Systems are their 60s and 70s.. Microsoft is their Vietnam War... FOSS is great... Linux is great.. but everything has it's place... When it comes down to it... You use what works and what is most productive for you... Which is why Linux can't win... OS X is doing great right now.. but it's doing great because of Microsoft and Adobe... CS brings in the advertising people... it performs better on a Mac than it does on a PC... The rest of the world wants a PC.. Microsoft, by providing Office on OS X, has helped Apple.. Now OS X has productivity software that can compete with Windows... Linux doesn't.. OOo just doesn't compare.. I can give you examples in every field on what it doesn't compare... Productivity wise Windows and OS X will always win... Linux can't compete and it will take quite a while for it to compete because of the "FOSS" philosophy that drives it...

I'm betting you're against this Novell / Microsoft partnership as well... yet it's the one thing that can benefit the Linux community.

The end matter is just because there are fewer viruses, doesn't mean it's
    A) Easier to use
    B) Has more software
    C) Won't see more viruses in the future..

His parents are fine on Ubuntu now... but in two weeks when Dad goes to the store and buys Deer Hunter to play in his free time... things will start to change...

Grow up... and get a handle on the real world.

Peace,
    HT

ohh yeah.... well my dad can beat up your dad?!?!?!?

What the hell is wrong with people? I can stand on any soap box and claim that SpyrusOS is the best thing in the world for anyone, its like one of those old MSN TV internet boxes. Its easy enough for the beginner but offers the security the pro wants....

When it comes down to it Linux, Windows, OS X, Lindows, whatever your flavor.... the popular choice is..... (drum roll please) Windows, big surprise, might be why they are an enormous company. It is a product that the masses know how to use and is exploited for the same reason. I dont know why the more I see people talk about preferred OS's the more I think it should be grouped with Politics, Religion, and the like.

If you are dead set on your OS then thats great, like most the people here, I prefer to dabble in all of them and learn from my experiences (I run ubuntu, windows, suse, and some various windows servers). I will have to agree that the second this kid leaves his parents and they want to use any major application they are foobar'd... like for instance deer hunter or better yet April and tax time, think dad will be able to figure out how to put Turbo Tax on his box? Not a chance

If you can't go into a discussion with an open mind what is the point of bringing it up in the first place?
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

haven't had time to "add content" lately

but I did in a past under other nicks. What's the point of adding content when I'll get banned by someone like you anyway. I guess it's a catch 22.