Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Site times out

gore - good advice. I suppose since the site isn't a secure page, the back button should work. I use a site hidden by .htaccess sometimes, only accessible by members. That is set to time out after so much idle time. It's annoying if you forget, make a large post and then get dumped back at the login screen with nothing you wrote having been saved! I normally copy the post just as a precaution.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

this happens to me regularly... after logging in... after posting a comment

be surprised if it was crawling (Happens everyday) but what do I know...

Moira...you using FF2? reason I ask is that...

1) didn't notice this before FF2

2) I browsed the site just before this in IE7 and didn't have timeout issues but did with FF2... perhaps a coincidence

on the bright side...thx for fixing the ridiculously large default font size for thread titles on the main page

(after posting this I clicked the logo to go to the main page...and timed out)
    Last edited by zigar; November 22nd, 2006 at 04:01 AM.
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

No, I'm not using FF at all and it happens to me.

Well I guess the back button works, but it gets annoying as can be when you go to the bathroom to send the "Browns" to the Super Bowl and when you come back ya had to enter your data again...

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

zigar, I am using FF2, but I have been since I received the email from AntiOnline and rejoined the site, so I have no experience of whether this happened beforehand.

I wouldn't have thought FF2 was to blame though - it isn't beta now and the idea is that it's an improvement on FF1, not a cause of additional problems! Bot indexing makes sense but it's still a PITA. Anyway, we'll just have to see if it improves and if it doesn't then think again.

(Incidentally, what a good idea that email was! I'm so glad I rejoined here. I used to be active on Security Forums but for various reasons (particularly the redesign) it lost its appeal - this is a much better place!)
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Rest assured everyone, if it doesn't let up very soon (like this coming week) we'll start to limit the bot activity on the server. We just wanted to keep that as a last resort, since the re-indexing will improve the site and make it busier, which I assume everyone wants.

Banned
    hmmm still getting time out issues, took me 3times to log in this morning. on the third attempt it finally loaded, but it tell a hella long time just to load up the index page.

and i kept getting time out connections again while trying to edit a post i made.

anyhow everything else seems to be working. {When it loads }

Yeah, it's still an issue for me too, but not so bad that I wouldn't be prepared to wait a bit to see if it improves.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

We're gonna look into restricting the bots a bit on monday.

Banned
    hmm and now i'm having huge trouble just to get a pm to send, im getting time out connection errors again..

using the latest version of opera, get the same issue under ie6 and firefox and seamonkey also.

hopefully they (SE bots) finish re-indexing the site soon..