Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Didn't take them long :D

Talking Didn't take them long :D

Microsoft says that Novel is the only company whose Linux does not enfringe their copyright

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21112006/22...osofts-ip.html
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying

Torvalds Ballmer? Torvalds Gates?

If Microsoft really want to be broken up due to antitrust legislation they sure are going the right way about it?

Maybe SCO will sue the lot of them

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by nightcat
    Microsoft says that Novel is the only company whose Linux does not enfringe their copyright

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21112006/22...osofts-ip.html
    Novell paid MS so MS won't sue Novell on certain IP issues. Thing is, nobody knows what these issues are.. And the "offending" code is still present in SuSe's Linux.

http://www.out-law.com/page-7494
    http://www.novell.com/linux/microsof...en_letter.html
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...Statement.mspx

Which is one other reason for me to stick to FreeBSD, they had these kinds of issues too but solved them ages ago..
    Last edited by SirDice; November 21st, 2006 at 05:17 PM.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Sort of reminds me of the definition of a partnership?

"Two thieves with their hands so deep in eachother's pockets that they cannot independently plunder a third"

Looks like the MS/Novell pact has gone tit's up already!

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3988

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the SCO boardroom.............IIRC M$ were the "grubstakers" of SCO's antics............... I wonder where they fit into the grand scheme of things now?

I must be the only one who sees the MS / Novell deal as a good thing... The problem is the Linux community...

Go to any Con these days... you don't see PCs running Linux... You see more and more Macs... The Linux Community, while still strongly supported, is losing some of the "big names" to OS X... The reason is that Linux is not a feasible desktop operating system in a business environment.. It needs a lot of work... It also needs access to MS patents to make it more "user friendly" or "user functional".... This agreement could do that... I believe that companies like RedHat are hurting Linux by not going into this agreement...

Sure the "kids" that are members of the Linux community (Yes, I run Linux too.. but most of the community is nothing more than kids.... certain members of this site make that more than evident) are getting pissed off and going on and on about it... In the end MS and Novell will come to terms and hammer out the details and this will benefit everyone..

Everyone got pissed when RedHat and Novell removed MP3 playback from Linux... the truth is that Linux does a) Infringe many patents c) Directly (and often illegally) bypass licensing... Those are two things that hurt it from every becoming a viable big business Desktop solution... Sure it's great in the server market... but those reasons, coupled with others, hurt it on the Desktop Front...

I'm interested in seeing how this proceeds because I'm still of the belief that it's a good thing and the right thing..

Peace,
    HT

HT~,

You forgot to mention support. That is usually an issue that is brought up when discussing the deployment of Linux in a desktop environment.

From what I recall of the original announcements, after sales support was one thing that MS was supposed to be bringing to the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    HT~,

You forgot to mention support. That is usually an issue that is brought up when discussing the deployment of Linux in a desktop environment.

From what I recall of the original announcements, after sales support was one thing that MS was supposed to be bringing to the deal.

This is a great point... There are plenty of benefits to this... and I'm not seeing any real arguments against it that aren't coming from a) kids or b) hippies in tye-dyed shirts

Well my point was not the fact that the deal was bad or good, but that Microsoft already starts trying to divide companies in to goog or bad. Good are the ones that enter the deal.

I am a great fan of Windows XP, but I am also a Linux user. I agry with the coments on Linuxes usability issue, but it doesn't mean that it infringes every copyright there is, as it been often claimed by biger companies.

The fact that some of the solutions there might be similar to Microsoft is down to the fact that there are only so many ways to solve particular problem and not every programer in the world has access to Microsoft patents to ensure he's not repeating their code. This itself makes their argument useless.
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying