Thread: Dvd/cd repair kit help

Dvd/cd repair kit help

alright I have a cd/dvd repair kit, its motorized and has two sanding pads, two polishing pads and two buffing pads. It comes with two solutions one is rubbing alcohol the other is some sort of paste.

Ive lost the instructions but this should be straight forward, anyone have one of these kits and knows the right order?

http://www.ambientweather.com/dbph63020.html
    MyBox:

Asus P5VDC-MX
    Celeron 2.8GHz
    512MB DDR 400
    WD 250GB SATA
    DVD-ROM, CD-RW
    Thermaltake 430W PSU
    Netgear WGT624 Router

Hi Mirado,

You will have a "repair" option and a "clean" option. For clean, just use the cleaning solution and one of the pads (polishing, I would imagine....it will be the softest).

Repair would use:

1. The sanding pad
    2. The buffing pad

You should not need to clean or polish, as what is visible to us is of no consequence to a laser. The objective is to get an even surface, even though it is opaque (frosted) the laser will read through it.

If you look at the abrasive pads you will probably find that they have two different grits (coarsenesses)? if not, then you just have spare ammunition.

The sequence is:

1. Use abrasive pad.
    2. Use buffer pad with paste.

To clean, you use the polishing pad and the isopropyl alcohol.

As that is a USA only model I cannot be definitive, it is just how what I think is a similar device over here is used.

Hope that helps

Incidentally, you only repair where you have scratches that are effectively acting as prisms, and deflecting the laser reader.

Please remember that the "content" is stored just underneath the "back" of the disk. There is a clear layer of plastic beneath that, which can be repaired so that it lets the laser beam through uniformly.

If the back (label side) is damaged then you are SOL.

I just use "brasso" and a cotton cloth to remove scratches.
    As for cleaning machines and stuff, that is a bit much for me, brasso does just fine for me.
    And true about the label having a scratch, just give it up and throw it away. I still laugh at individuals that lay their CD's/DVD's on the label to protect the reading side. lol
    You should lay CD's on the non-label side. You can remove scratches from the side it is sitting on. But you set them on the label, you are not going to be able to remove the scratch from the label.

note: I bet that paste for the cleaning/repairing kit is very similiar to brasso.
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

Hi Cope,

I agree, Brasso, or any of those kitchen top cleaning creams will do the job, as they are mild abrasives.

Personally, I have always found that traditional white toothpaste works as well (doesn't matter what flavour)

Another product is "jeweller's rouge".......... also sold in tubs a silver polish..... another mild abrasive.

I have only used Brasso to clean .308 WIN before matches

Antionline Herpetologist
    I've found that when CD's/DVD's are merely dirty and not scratched, a bit of gentle soap or shampoo is fantastic for cleaning them. Just make sure they're dry before they go back in the drive. Also, I might just be more careful, but I've never really had a disc get so scratched that I couldn't read it. Hell, my drives usually end up reading even slightly cracked discs...

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Cope,

A front side scratch on the label isn't going to kill a cd/dvd, unless it penetrates into the substrate layer. If any scratch gets that far, front or back the disc is toast.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Thanks everybody. I used nihil's method and I think now thats how it was done back when I brought the tool. Unfortunately before and after the clean Nero's CD/DVD speed program could not do a surface scan, appears as if the disk is blank.

Now it is a DVD, and I have a DVD ROM, I asked the person this DVD belongs to and said she did finalize the session and that she checked it after and there was data on it.

My computer seems to take a long time once inserted, and then nothing comes up and doing an explore on the drive just gives me nothing. No error, but no data either.

I don't know if I should give it another run or just tell the person the disk cannot be recovered.

I am writing down the steps for the repair so I don't forget again. Thanks.
    Last edited by mirado.kelly; December 3rd, 2006 at 04:40 AM. Reason: formating ans spelling
    MyBox:

Asus P5VDC-MX
    Celeron 2.8GHz
    512MB DDR 400
    WD 250GB SATA
    DVD-ROM, CD-RW
    Thermaltake 430W PSU
    Netgear WGT624 Router

Hi mirado,

From what you say, it sounds as if your machine detects that there is media there? Otherwise I would expect some sort of "insert media" or formatting prompt, suggesting that it doesn't really understand the media.

I would try it in some other DVD drives, maybe a friend's or your local library?

Also, if you look at the drive "properties" does it show up as the right size 4.7 Gb? and all unused?

You might try looking at it with a "live CD" like Bart's PE or one of the Linux ones.

Now that you have cleaned it, it might be worth trying on the original drive again?

Another thought is the media type, as in DVD+ or DVD-.............single/double layer etc............ is it compatible with the player?

Recording speeds can sometimes be a problem as well. That is why I suggest trying it on the original burner again.................at least you know that everything is compatible.

Thanks nihil, sory for the delayed responce time. The capacity in properties for the drive shows 0 bytes, and free space is 0 bytes.

File system is Unknown. Get an error "please insert disk" when I try to double click the drive. Tryed it in my mothers dvd rom as well, that also failed. Lable on DVD says DVD R 4.7 120Min does not indicate +/-

Ill give the disk back to the creator to have her test back in her drive.

Thanks.
    MyBox:

Asus P5VDC-MX
    Celeron 2.8GHz
    512MB DDR 400
    WD 250GB SATA
    DVD-ROM, CD-RW
    Thermaltake 430W PSU
    Netgear WGT624 Router

Hi, that certainly indicates that the media just isn't being detected at all.

Unless you can find something that recognises it you have a problem. Have you tried looking at it in Linux?

Otherwise it is a case of using a professional recovery service, and they are expensive