Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Online Virus Scans

Well all the cable companies that I know of really abuse the monopoly they have in most areas. In the UK, and also where my parents live, they actually have the audacity to CHARGE for a service call!! That boggles the mind. Hey bud, it's YOUR service that's malfunctioning, not mine, and I'm already PAYING you for a service you're not delivering. How the heck are you due MORE MONEY?

If my cable co. pulled that once, I'd have direct tv and wireless the next day

There has to be something of a balance because if customers started leaving in their droves, then the company concerned would do something about it, but one of the reasons call centres get a bad name is because most people don't realise there's often a conflict of interest.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

That's the problem, here in the states at least; these companies have a monopoly on their given areas. Your only other options for broadband are ADSL, or wireless satellite, neither of which is as fast or as reliable.

BANNED
    We are starting to get more options they have dsl around here that runs just as fast or faster than cable and it's a dedicated line so you don't hae to share your bandwidth.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

You aren't contended at all? Surely that can't last as more people get broadband?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Well it's a common claim that with DSL the number of users don't affect your speed, but in real world terms, it does. The only DSL where I live is the 3mb variety, which still is slower than our cable

Hi folks,

Moira is spot on, the issue is contention. Where you are sharing a resource then the more people using it, the less everyone gets.

The ISP/Telcos work on the principle that they can sell the same resources to multiple parties, and this won't be a problem because they don't all use them at the same time........................

muert0 has it right, you can get dedicated (single customer) connections, but they are rather expensive, at least over here.............. that is what businesses generally have, or probably a contention of 4:1 for smaller outfits.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Well it's a common claim that with DSL the number of users don't affect your speed, but in real world terms, it does. The only DSL where I live is the 3mb variety, which still is slower than our cable
    Eatel has a 10mb down/3mb up for $60 here and if you have a phone it's cheaper. I just don't intend on getting a phone so I didn't ask for the price with.

Well our DSL here is 3mb down, for 39 bucks and the cable is 7mb down for 42 bucks. Not a tough choice there. The cable is also upgrading to fiber optic which should double the speed this yr.

BANNED
    That's why out DSL is going down. All the phone companies started dropping fiber.