Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Science Major

Computer Science Major

Here's the story, I'm a college-bound high school senior (young, I know ). I'm very interested in technology and I have been 101% sure that was the major I wanted for years. But a recent job at a corporation caused doubts in my mind whether this was the right major for me. I like fast paced jobs, I also like to make my own schedule. So, here's the question, can majoring in Computer Science lead to jobs like this?

The reason why this question arose, was because my job is really BORING, and it showed me how working in a cubicle would be like. I don't mind working in a cubicle, in fact it actually looks quite interesting to me since I like working by myself (working with others only slows me down) in an isolated environment. However, it doesn't seem to me like you make your own schedule. Any tips or suggestions for future pathways will also be appreciated since I'm always planning ahead.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

I dreamed of being a CIS Manager for 4 years. I spent every effort to learn about Hardware, OS, and Networking--graduated as #1 in my school's technology program and had already interned as a network engineer for 2 years before receiving that diploma.

Then I moved to college.

Programming and PCs ceased to hold any fascination over me nearly the momment I arrived on campus. Now I'm an EMT & Training Nurse, who knew?

Keep CS in mind, but just take your Core Cirriculum and bull**** classes until you've got your feet wet and met some people. You can get a good idea of what things will be like when talking/observing other people majors.

I room with a CS major, and while he ultimately seems to like it--the jobs that it offers him he doesn't much care for at all. PS: I hope you like reading.
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

I just started today at bates technical college for database programming and administration. I love it. I have to take a wide range of classes just to get my degree but they range everything from programming to security. I am also only a high school senior. Check it our raion it seems pretty fun.

I have heard from many a friend that works in the Comp Sci field as well as from professors. Making your own hours is usually based upon how good you are and the company you are at. It is not unheard of, but at the same time isn't always very common.

As for fast paced. If you consider having to get an ungodly amount of code done in a very short amount of time fast paced then yes. Other than that not really.

At this current moment I am a junior in my schools Comp Sci program. I have taken classes the define the word boring and other classes that define the word nap. I find very few classes hands down fun. Though there are some, and f.y.i. I love comp sci, I just think the level of detail that some classes require to be a bit more than I bargained for.

Example, when you get to architecture, you will learn things about computers that you never ever thought would be useful. An example, I have to create a virtual full adder in assembly. While this isn't hard in my opinion it's pointless.

I say just stick with a couple classes take classes in everything see what you like, worse case scenario you don't like it and change to something else.

I will let you know, that the comment on reading is true, there is not a night that goes by that I don't have atleast 10 or more pages to read.

Just try to enjoy what you do, if you can't then by all means change major. It's never too late.

Even if you like comp sci but realize it's not what you want to do. YOu can keep your major only about 25% of people that graduate from college ever end up working in the field they go their degree in.

Well,

An MBA is worth a whole truck load of your "alphabet soups", particularly when you consider that most of them are vendor specific.

Learn business my young friend.................

whats MBA?

masters business administrastion.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonic
    whats MBA?
    An MBA (Master of business Administration) would make you a manager among programmers. Very essential if you want a life beyond typing out millions of lines of code.

http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/

This is IIM, Indian Institute of Management, my country's premier post graduate MBA college.

Just go through the final placements article here..

http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/placements_2006.html

..you'll know why it is important.
    Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble

I dreamed of being a CIS Manager for 4 years. I spent every effort to learn about Hardware, OS, and Networking--graduated as #1 in my school's technology program and had already interned as a network engineer for 2 years before receiving that diploma.

Then I moved to college.

Programming and PCs ceased to hold any fascination over me nearly the momment I arrived on campus. Now I'm an EMT & Training Nurse, who knew?
    Kind of ironic that one of my secondary choices as a career is an NYPD officer for reasons described above but pay is just as important to me and the risks are too great for the pay.

As for fast paced. If you consider having to get an ungodly amount of code done in a very short amount of time fast paced then yes. Other than that not really.
    That wouldn't be too out of the ordinary for me since I tend to finish anything I am doing fairly fast. Hence why I love fast-paced job because it keeps my on my toes and never completely done.

As for the MBA, I will read about that when I have more time. So far some great suggestions. Question, like what kind of companies/corporations (besides the oh so obvious M$) do programmers usually end up working for?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Very good advice in this thread thus far. Let me add the more abstract approach.
    I went to a 4 year school, never finished. Moved home, got a 2 year degree in comp sci. That did nothing for me. Went to a technical school and got a degree in mainframe programming. Got hired and did that for 2 years. Moved on to working for the state as a surveyor for 3 years (I took the job because the state benefits and pension were excellent). Took on a second job at night maintaining a small network. Learned alot. Spiced up the old resume, put some applications in, took some state tests and wound up transfering to a job with the state as a network administrator for a medium sized LAN. Is your head spinning? good.

What's my point in all this? simple. I love what I do now. I didn't like programming, didn't like surveying, so I kept at it until I got the job I wanted. Don't limit yourself to anything. Take whatever steps neccessary to aquire that job you really want. Career switching can be a good thing (IMO) if in the end, you like what you do for a living.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton