Thread: Help with icons of files in XP...

Help with icons of files in XP...

Heya folks,

I've got my .avi files associated with Media Player Classic in XP. Usually, this means there will be an icon used that looks something like the Media Player Classic program, and for a long time this was the case. However, recently the icons all changed to the Halo video game icon, then changed to the divx program icon. I uninstalled divx to try and get that out of the icons, thinking that maybe then Windows would try to associate itself with the correct icons again, but now it comes up with the "no file extension associated" looking icon. Since the filesize limit for posts here is so small (I don't remember this ever being an issue back when I used to post a lot... or am I forgetting?), I've uploaded it to an image host here: http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=4ibjck3.

How can I fix this? It's annoying to look at, and I have had trouble finding answers online.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, have you tried the following? :

Right click on an avi file

Click "Open With"

Click on "Select a program from the list"

Select Windows Media Player

Tick "Always use the selected program to open this type of file"

That should make sure windows media player is the default program for opening avi's and hence the wmp icon should reappear.

Cheers

Yes, I've done it, and it doesn't change the icon.

I'm thinking I'll have to do it some manual way, as all the normal ways I know of aren't working for me.

Antionline Herpetologist
    I've tried to find the answer to this many times. Tons of googling later, I've still to come up with the answer. Like jehnx, I find it drives me up the bend, but short of reinstalling Windows, I haven't found a way to do it...

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Have you tried in any folder, clicking Tools > Folder Options > File Types, look for AVI Then clicking advanced at the bottom, change the icon.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Raion: Surprisingly, when I went through and did what you said (which I had already done), this time I had a "restore" button there instead of "advanced." I clicked restore, THEN it changed to "advanced," then I clicked it and it let me choose an icon that I wanted.

So, it works now! Thanks to everyone who chimed in! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by jehnx
    Raion: Surprisingly, when I went through and did what you said (which I had already done), this time I had a "restore" button there instead of "advanced." I clicked restore, THEN it changed to "advanced," then I clicked it and it let me choose an icon that I wanted.

So, it works now! Thanks to everyone who chimed in! :-D

not exactly sure why that happens but Ive had it happen
    (made the mistake of associating all image files with irfranview )

now if youd like to actually change the icon for an ap
    (as opposed to just the program association) you can use reshacker

http://www.virtualplastic.net/