Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm Engaged

I do like your nick foxyloxley and your avatar - I probably told you this already

I used to love Basil Brush.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

One word HT "PRENUP", trust me......

Cheers
    DjM

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by DjM
    One word HT "PRENUP", trust me......

Cheers
    So many people who have been married and divorced say this. However, most women take offense to it. I don't think I'm going to do it becuase I think my woman has more earning potential than me. She also has a better education than me.

So, if something should happen... I think I would make out better in the end. Not that I think that anything would ever happen to us...

I heard a great way to describe a prenup the other day. This was brought to my attention by someone who clears over 200k/yr at the age of 28. This is the way he described and got his woman to agree to it. He compared it to buying a new car and ending up with a lemon. If you buy into something that ends up not being what it was advertised or it has "issues", you would not want to keep it. She agreed with him that if she bought a car and the car had major irreparable issues, she would not want to keep it. However, she was then told that she was going to have to keep making the car payments even though she no longer has posession of the car and can't use it in any way. She didn't like that idea. He said the same thing about a marriage that goes south.

He only wants to split everything 50/50 and have no other obligations other than child support if there are children invloved. She agreed with it...

Somehow I don't think my girl would go for it...
    Last edited by phishphreek; December 19th, 2006 at 01:15 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hey Hey,

Prenup you say... I always thought that was only for movie stars, celebrities and the rich... but ya never know maybe it's not such a bad thing to investigate. ...

Peace,
    HT

HT: With the way you're going, you might not be a movie star, but you could become a celebrity in the security community and very rich because of it. Maybe the most you'll get on the third level is documentary star? lol

Just look at a couple of others here. I bring up Tony Bradly first because he is the one I can think of off the top of my head that has his name plastered all over the place. I'm sure he makes a pretty penny because of it. He has to in order to take care of his 4 or 6 kids!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

She does wear glasses however perhaps you need them.. TH13 said to post a pic...
    You are right on both counts it was TH13 who wanted the pic and also I do need to change my glasses as i broke the frame the other day .
    As for the prenup I would only agree to protect whatever you have before the marriage. Anything earned after IMO should be split 50/50 if the worst comes to the worst.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Congrats man... I guess I lucked out with the whole wedding thing... I proposed on the beach in NC and was married less than a week later [no she was not pregnant] ... my brother is a minister, and married us on the sand, I wore cargo shorts and a Hawaiian shirt, and she wore a dress from a surf shop... all in all it cost us less than $200... I couldn't have asked for a better wedding... and married life isn't so bad... I still drink beer and watch football, I am not forced to sit and watch sappy movies... so don't let these guys scare you
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    LOL. I'm amused by all of this. If you try to dump a prenup on your woman, she will react in ways you've never seen. Unless you have a pile of cash now, don't bother with it. It will only give her a reason to make an entry in the big book of things you've done wrong. It says to them that if you should become rich, you may trade them in for a newer model and still keep the cash. Not good.

I had next to nothing when I got married. In fact, management had way more than I did. Then there was this 90s internet boom and, well, yeah, the money came rushing in and now she is a stay at home manager...errr....I mean...mom.

Management has made it clear that the only way out for me is in a pine box. I'm sure that you'll get the same story *after* you say, "I do." They don't like it when you try to escape let alone suggest that you may try later on.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Hoss is right, the only people who would normally want a prenup would be very wealthy, or were the current custodians of an inherited "family asset" such as a business, farm, or a nobleman's estate.

That said, my wife and I both own our own houses........but that is a purely UK tax avoidance thing. I don't know Canadian tax rules so I don't know if any sort of prenup would be advantageous in that area?

Alrighty.... no prenup... It was never anything I'd planned on so that sounds good to me..

So we picked up the ring last night... celebrated with a glass of Caladon Negro Sparkling Wine from Spain (or as she calls it.. Champagne (which lead to a big debate over what is and isn't Champagne... she called it logistics, I called it semantics so then we debated that ))

Now she's left for work and I'm about to bring out the trash.

peace,
    HT