Thread: INVASION OF READ ONLY RIGHTS

INVASION OF READ ONLY RIGHTS

My Windows 2003 Server assigns READ ONLY to every folder that exists and/or I create, I found some microsoft information telling you how to use attrib after a registry edit, but that didn't work.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

AOs Resident Troll
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549
    CAUSE
    Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories, and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System attributes of folders. When a folder has the Read-Only attribute set it causes Explorer to request the Desktop.ini of that folder to see if any special folder settings need to be set. It has been seen where if a network share that has a large amount of folders set to Read-only, it can cause Explorer to take longer then what is expected to render the contents of that share while it waits on the retrieval of the Desktop.ini files. The slower the network connectivity to the share the longer this process can take to the point where Explorer may timeout waiting for the data and render nothing or appear to hang.
    use share and security settings...

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Already read that, wasn't much help.

AOs Resident Troll
    so what is the issue you are having with read only???

seeing the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories, and other programs??

MLF

my entire corporations file server is read only, no one can save their files.

ouch, I think I have it... I think it was the "SHARE" permissions set at my FILE SERVER level and not the folder's security and sharing level.

AOs Resident Troll
    big difference between read only attribute, share permissions and security permissions.

MLF

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay
    big difference between read only attribute, share permissions and security permissions.

MLF
    Yes every folder's permissions were correct, but it was shared out with READ for EVERYONE and that was it.

Is it definitely read only (i.e. solid black check mark in the red only attribute box)? If you see a light grey arrow in that box, that is actually normal and AFAIK, there's no way to get rid of that.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")