Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (Another) Harry Potter Book thread...

HT I hated Harry Potter, I thought the whole affair with people on line at the book store was goofy. Just more American's going out on the Cabage Patch bandwagon (reference to a toy and the 80s).

Then I read one as a promise to an old girl friend. Book 4 was already out. So I started reading it and ......

..... um.....

Damn I love it. Now I am one of those going to the movie on opening nights to see all the people dressed up. I really is a wonderfull story. Part of me wishes it stayed more child like and less dark. Those last two books are dark and excellent stories. The ending of the last movie was also excellent in a dark and sinister way.

To children these events must be like the spider and the orcs in Lord of the Rings... another story read by children. To me, it's just my fellow Slytheryn.
    Last edited by RoadClosed; December 27th, 2006 at 10:20 PM.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadClosed
    HT I hated Harry Potter, I thought the whole affair with people on line at the book store was goofy. Just more American's going out on the Cabage Patch bandwagon (reference to a toy and the 80s).

Then I read one as a promise to an old girl friend. Book 4 was already out. So I started reading it and ......
    ..... um.....

Damn I love it. Now I am one of those going to the movie on opening nights to see all the people dressed up. I really is a wonderfull story. Part of me wishes it stayed more child like and less dark. Those last two books are dark and excellent stories. The ending of the last movie was also excellent in a dark and sinister way.
    This was exactly me until my significatn other got me to read the first book. Then I proceeded to read the next three in just a couple days. As for the last book, Harry has a crapload of stuff to do. I hope its a long book and does not feel rushed.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Talk about reviving an old thread...in my defense on 12/21 when the thread was new, I had a 6 day old baby.

Already pre-purchased my copy. I can't wait. I agree with CXGJarrod, I really hope the last book is done right.

Sadly, my oldest son has lost interest - he was the reason I started reading the books. He hasn't even finished the 6th book, but I'm totally addicted to the series too. I wish in a way it had stayed lighter and not quite so disturbing, but I'm not sure it would have been the same if it had.

It's time to dig them out and read from Book 1 again, so that I can be ready for the last one!

yeah, last book looks good. Snape good or evil? I mean, making people think he is evil then showing he is good wouldn't exactly be a new trick.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

What a summer! The new book, the new movie, more talk on The Hobbit Movie, the Transformers movie, I get to meet Leonard Nimoy in 2 days!, and **** I am a geek. Not to mention I just got Seson 2 of Battlestar Galactica.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

I think it's time for a nerd intervention....

Ninja Code Monkey
    Deb, you should check out 'The Bartimaeus Trilogy'. I've been reading it to the kids and it's pretty good so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Amulet-Samarka...7254717&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Golems-Eye-Bar...7254717&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Ptolemys-Gate-...7254717&sr=8-1
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

I think it's time for a nerd intervention....
    Hmmm.... I am a geek not a nerd.

In general it is safe to say... Chicks dig computer geeks. And computer geeks dig goth chicks? Or is it just me?
    West of House

welll... I'm gonna go with just you.

Although they are really very similar personality types. Geeks hate themselves and so deal with computers all day, goths hate themselves so wear black all day.

:>
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

I guess i am not your typical geek. I don't hate myself and I think goth is sexy. I think it's the black lipstick.
    West of House