Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (Another) Harry Potter Book thread...

(Another) Harry Potter Book thread...

The last book that was released prompted at least 2 AO members to stay up the whole night just to read the book. Unfortunately the series is coming to an end. While the book is unfinished the title now takes shape. The ending of the last book left us all in silence: I think a comment from Deb was "wow". I simply put the book down and said "****", and now:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows....

In HP fashion it wasn't revealed through normal Muggle Channels, but as a puzzle on J.K.'s web site. That kicks ass.
    Last edited by RoadClosed; December 21st, 2006 at 07:41 PM.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

my brother-in-law is a teacher and acting librarian for a Christian school in Taiwan(English speaking)... He had to fight tooth and nail to keep the Harry Potter books in the library... some old fogeys on the board wanted them out of there... he finally got the library to keep the books, but the students are required to have permission from their parents to read them. I am not a huge fan of Harry Potter... but have read the 1st book, and watched the movie... I just don't understand the controversy...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    I read the first book and enjoyed it to an extent. Didnt seem to carry on with it.

When one of the books were released I actually got taken out in a mall from all the people going crazy for the book to be released.

I guess JKR is doing something right?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

the 6th book pissed me off to no end... It didn't make any since and at the same time made total sense.... It's just dumbledore is the most powerful wizard alive, and he was a skilled occlumen(sp) as well. He would of know if snape was untrue, and he would of never completely trusted him... It doesn't make sense that he would trust snape without making him do an unbreakable pact.

There are too many things that just don't make sense... Second I wanna know whose initials those were on the locket.

Why is harry going to allow hermione and ron to continue being his friend when he broke up with ginny? These things just didn't make much since for me at the end of the book. I could probably go on for hours about the problems that I saw...

And my biggest problem with the entire series is... Harry is suppose to be just a regular kid that lucked up... but at times they show just how good of a wizard harry is... case and point in book 3 when he summoned the (can't remember the name of it... but the thing that protected him from the dementors.) Only a powerful wizard could of done that... but all the time the book shows that harry is normal...

sorry, but some of those things have been bugging me since I finished the book.

and is the release date for the 7th book still 7/7/7?

Custom User
    I've got to admit, whenever the new books are released, I tend to buy them and read them straight away - but at the same time I don't actually like them that much. I thought the first book was quite good, and the second not bad, but now I just want to know the story

ac

I've read the first two books....

Actually my entire family has read them... My little sister gets them and then they are passed from person to person... When book three finally made it to me, I'd made the mistake of seeing the movie first... After that the books just didn't do it for me (which is unusual.. usually I prefer the book to the movie)... so I stopped reading there.. now I just wait for each movie to come out... but maybe I'll attempt to pick the books up over the holidays.

Peace,
    HT

PS: just a suggestion... For those of you that are going to mention happenings in the books (lin_lover for example)... It might be better if you mark them hidden... and we make that the "spoiler alert" marker for this thread.

HT~

I don't think that you can mark posts as hidden anymore. I think that was one of the old system's hacks?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    HT~

I don't think that you can mark posts as hidden anymore. I think that was one of the old system's hacks?
    Wow.. apparently you can't.... I guess it shows how often I actually used it.

Spoiler * Spoiler * Spoiler * Spoiler * Spoiler *

I guess that is about the best you can do with this system?

Lin_Lover,

"the 6th book pissed me off to no end... It didn't make any since and at the same time made total sense.... It's just dumbledore is the most powerful wizard alive, and he was a skilled occlumen(sp) as well. He would of know if snape was untrue, and he would of never completely trusted him... It doesn't make sense that he would trust snape without making him do an unbreakable pact."
    In my exp with all the books, I think JKR has kept many aspects hidden from book to book. Like abt hoxocrux (excuse the spells pls) etc. This should get revealed in the upcoming book. Along with some other questions : How did dumbledores arm get injured, who is the other guy who is looking for hoxocrux (RAB) etc etc.

"and is the release date for the 7th book still 7/7/7?"
    I guess that would be too late. Jan/Feb should be a pretty accurate guess.
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;