Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Banned ?

Banned ?

Why do members who leave AO have their status to be "banned". Couldn't it be something more "friendly" like "gone for good" or something ?. Why don't we just leave the "banned" status to the trolls ?. Just my thoughts ...

Interesting question, however I do know that usually it's the member's request.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    probably find that 'banned' is a default setting
    any other status would require a 'hack'
    and the site has had enough troubles with those thank you very much
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Foxy: well ... how about this simple solution?. Replace the avatar with a suitcase (i.e if its possible ). :-)

Relyt: Good for you old chap ! ;-)

Cheers

The user's request is to be seen as banned? That sounds a bit strange. I agree, if they're not banned it's not a great status to have under their nick. There should be a way to put a custom setting there.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Banned
    There is indeed no way to distinguish between a member who was banned for
    "bad behavior" and one who was banned upon request - for the simple reason that us moderators cannot make that distinction. That being said, those members who were banned upon request could have simply not showed up anymore; for some reason or another, though, they requested to be physically banned. It's like having a group of friends, and you grow tired of them: one way to deal with it is to simply not meet up with your friends anymore, and ignore their messages; another is to wear a big sign around your neck that says "I don't want to be your friend anymore", and request that your friends start kicking your @ss upon seeing you. The first option, apparently, has been too difficult for some, so they went with the second option.

foxy in that regard is dead on: banning is the only option we have to prevent accounts from posting.

If you really need us to prevent you from posting, you have problems other than having "Banned" show up under your name

But if someone simply doesn't want to be here any more and doesn't want to be part of the forum, why do they need preventing from posting in the first place?

You said that yourself in the last sentence Negative, just after you remarked that banning was the only option to prevent accounts from posting. I still don't see why accounts that haven't been banned for a reason need the "banned" label. Is it not possible to put a custom label there for someone who disppeared voluntarily for whatever reason, and a banned label for someone who needed preventing from posting?

If that isn't possible, then can you not deactivate an account rather than remove it? Or just leave it - if whoever it is doesn't want to be here they'll soon disappear under a pile of new posts and new members.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Banned
    But if someone simply doesn't want to be here any more and doesn't want to be part of the forum, why do they need preventing from posting in the first place?
    You'll need to ask them. I think you're seriously misinterpreting what I said. If they don't want to be here anymore, they could simply not show up anymore; for some reason or another, though (and you'll again have to ask them), some people want us to prevent them from posting here. The only way to do that is by banning them. I didn't say we want to prevent them from posting here; I said that some want us to prevent them from posting.

I say what you originally said then - if someone needs to be physically prevented from posting here, then maybe they should begin to address the problem at its source, ie get some psychiatric treatment for their compulsive-posting disorder! After all, we could ban them but if they were that addicted to forum posting, they would simply re-register with a new nick, browse the forum with a proxy, and you'd never be done! The effort of blocking these tactics might be time worth spent on a member whose posts were in some way offensive or troublemaking, but for someone who hadn't done anything wrong? I doubt it - why is it AO's problem?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Hi Moira, and a happy New Year to you and yours

I guess the problem here is that we don't have a "retired", "resigned" or whatever category?