Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The End of the Universe

The End of the Universe

I've read that some American researchers have claimed to have found the "end of the universe", ie proof that it exists. What do people here think? The first thing I come up with is, what's beyond that? And isn't the universe meant to be infinite?

But if you accept the Big Bang theory, ie that the universe had a start, then you have to concede that it must also have a finish. It's possible that they've reached the boundaries of what we define as the universe.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

I think it might be terminology? Some people call the solid, gaseous and other stuff "TheUniverse" and the space it is in (bigger) "The Cosmos" ?

You mean you think they've found the end of the gaseous matter etc? Since matter can only travel at the speed of light, I'd believe that was possible - by definition it can't be infinite if it started with the Big Bang.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I'm sleep deprived so my imagination is in overdrive, been reading Stephen Hawking also.

Depending on whether it is an expanding universe or a collapsing universe, the scientists would have discovered where the "end of the universe" was.

Depending on their discovery method, using the light from stars etc or by radio reflection, a lot can change during the time delay that the light or "radio" leaves it's source and reaches us.

Some of stars we see at night may no longer actually be there.

need more caffiene
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Agreed .... but there are people who illogically think the universe has no end, which cannot be the case if it began. It's simply do we have the ability to discover "the end". These large areas of dark matter are interesting as well, presumably these and black holes are the theory behind the collapsing universe, or at least one being held back from runaway expansion.

I always think it's incredible how if we evolved from so much more minute quantities of matter, what potentially could evolve from something incredibly more powerful?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Hey four, I hear the Steven H readings, The Universe in a Nutshell ftw! you know he recently won the Copely medal: http://science.slashdot.org/article..../11/30/1936231

Anyways, No offense Moira but I would like to see some sources on this.

But if you accept the Big Bang theory, ie that the universe had a start, then you have to concede that it must also have a finish. It's possible that they've reached the boundaries of what we define as the universe.
    As for this, not necessarily. The universe has expanded in a double inflationatory model, and can continue to do so. In this case the end of the universe would be that everything continues to drift apart with a lower and lower temperature, until it (the temperature) evens out between matter and energy. It would still expand forever.
    Last edited by dmorgan; December 2nd, 2006 at 07:49 AM.
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

Hmmm?

It still boils down to definitions I would suggest?

If the Universe is either expanding or contracting, my question still remains...... What is it expanding into, or contracting from?

Exactly nihil. And dmorgan, by definition if something "starts" it has to "finish". Think about it - and not just in terms of the universe. Show me one single thing that starts and doesn't finish.

Personally I don't believe in the Big Bang theory, so I have no trouble with the concept of infinity and eternity. Time and space are just man's artificial standards being applied within the confines of what we can understand - because we aren't prepared to admit there are higher levels that a human brain just can't grasp.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Antionline Herpetologist
    Not to drag another one of "those" controversies into the conversation, but what do you believe in then? I might be wrong, but it almost sounds like you subscribe to an "intelligent design" theory of creation (and I'm not just talking biological design here...)

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

That's right ..... as you say, not to drag it out, but I do believe in an "intelligent design" theory of creation.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature