Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows xp system uptime

Hmmmm,

My point regarding safety has nothing to to with microwaves it is a simple observation that any electrical device that is in a "powered up" state is a potential fire hazard. I do not like leaving things "on" for that reason. I have personally only seen a 5250 dumb terminal catch fire but I know of two people who have had PCs catch fire.

At one place I worked, I collaborated with a guy in health and safety and we estimated a saving of about $90,000 per annum by switching stuff off at night and the weekend.

I would estimate a personal saving of about $300 per annum by not leaving TVs, computers and the microwave on standby, and by using energy saving lamps. I would personally rather spend that money on beer................

I think that you really do have to be careful with laptops............. remember that they are designed for intermittent, rather than continual use, and that most lithium batteries are rather unstable. Dell recently recalled over 4 million and Apple over 1.5 million?

Also, most energy is still generated by burning fossil fuels..............those are limited resources and are pollutive.

I am only expressing the same views as the US DOE have been for the last 10 years or more

Nihil- So what about standby mode? They are still pulling power.. Now you may say, but I hit the button to turn everything off.. That doesn't mean it is not in standby. Do you unplug your microwave, vcr, DVD, cable box, TV, etc... from the wall after everytime you use them? if not, they are powered on and have juice running through the power supply...

My power supply stays powered on in my computer unless I physically unplug it or flip a small switch on the back of the power supply.. So technically, even though the computer is turned off it is still pulling juice and could still have a fire threat.. So if that threat really worries you, you should make sure that none of your consumer devices run in standby mode.

Hi mohaughn,

I am in the UK, so I suppose our wiring is different? we have 3-pin 13 amp 240~250v 50 cycles.

There is a rocker switch on the wall socket that cuts the power just like the little rocker switch on the back of the PSU...........except that the cable is not live.

Smile

Can anyone explain why you would want your machine "up" for that length of time?

Do you pay the electricity bills?

Do you have the faintest idea of health and safety?

Do you care about your environment and the legacy you are creating?

Or is it just the usual pathetic grade school "bragging rights"?

I await intelligent responses with interest
    1. Server?

2. Yes

2. Um, no.

3. Well, uh, I mean...

4. Mycomputer is better that your'n.

5. Good luck.

P.S. I would check the uptime on my Debian box, but I would need
    a sundial calibrated in decades.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Lol @ Rcgreens comment about the sundial and what not

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by kryptonic
    And honestly no I don't care abouth the environment. Also I doubt me turning my computer off is gonna save the invironment anyways.
    Sigh.. I don't care, why do I matter? If the environment is totally fscked in a 100 years I'll be dead anyway.. This is exactly the reason why the environment is fscked up as it is..

You, turning off your single machine probably will go unnoticed, yes. If 2.000.000 people stop being egomaniacs and turn theirs off the world will definitely notice!
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Muhahahahahahahahahaha....................

rcgreen........... I accept your comment about servers, but would politely draw your attention to the post's title.......... "XP uptime"?........ if you use XP as a server I don't wonder your avatar is "The Scream"

SirDice I think that you feel like John the Baptist..........so do I (although I was named after John the Evangelist)....... "a voice crying in the wilderness"

Whilst the USA, China and India continue with their disregard for the environment, I am afraid that us poor EU types are wasting our time?

usually my xp can stand up 1 month average ~ it not goes down due to XP failure (usually) - instead it goes due to power failures.

About nihil questions:

Can anyone explain why you would want your machine "up" for that length of time?

p2p (bt & e-mule) 24x7 seeding and sharing here.

Do you pay the electricity bills?
    yes. But its very cheap here
    Do you have the faintest idea of health and safety?
    Those computers are in a room. Usually dark (and unattended). They have all kind of protection, including gas...something lightning protection. No fire danger here.

Bah, we dont use fossile fuels or related to generate eletricity here. 90% of power are generated by water falls... So, i'm cool about that

Or is it just the usual pathetic grade school "bragging rights"?
    I left school a looooooooong time ago

I await intelligent responses with interest

You better have a coffee to wait one :P
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

AOs Resident Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by cacosapo

Bah, we dont use fossile fuels or related to generate eletricity here. 90% of power are generated by water falls... So, i'm cool about that
    That is VERY cool...

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

We used XP for swing (migration) servers during rollouts. Theoretically, XP is as stable as any Windows server OS, but certainly lacking server features such as AD. If it wasn't for update reboots, why would XP's uptime surprise anyone?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers