Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Firefox Myth debunking?

Muerto: Right click on any text field, and you can make your own quick search equivalent. For instance, I went to PHP.net, right clicked on the search box in the upper right, and made a quick search with the abbreviation "php". So now when I want to check out the API, I can just type "php preg_match" in my address bar, etc.

You can modify the tabs to resemble firefox by going to Preferences->Advanced->Tabs->"Show close button on each tab". (And of course the tab bar can be dragged around the screen by right clicking on it, selecting "Customize", and changing the "Placement:" setting. (Affects highlighted UI piece only.)
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Yes, Firefox can be a bit of a resource hog, particularly the latest version if you have a lot of tabs open. It's not too big a problem for me, because I have plenty of RAM, but you'd need to be careful if you were running a lower spec PC.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Every mozilla program can. At least everyone I've used.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Well I must say that I use firefox almost full time. Using the firefox Firebug plugin, getfirebug.com, there is almost nothing I can't do/see dev wise. My entire audience is expected to use IE6 or IE7, and if they don't, they easily comply (otherwise they don't get account access). I usually do the dev in firefox, and then make adjustments as I code for other browsers. An innerHTML here, a textContent there.

I will however check out opera, its good to see where the browsers stand up to the standards.

-x
    Last edited by xmaddness; January 26th, 2007 at 05:52 AM. Reason: sensoring of urls?

BANNED
    I used opera for a little bit and couldn't get the tabs to work the way I wanted. Played around with it for a good while. I've reverted back to firefox. Anyone know how to make the tabs work like firefox?
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Quote Originally Posted by xmaddness
    Well I must say that I use firefox almost full time. Using the firefox Firebug plugin, getfirebug.com, there is almost nothing I can't do/see dev wise.
    Huh! I bet you couldn't get my wretched video to play!

http://antionline.com/showthread.php...631#post917631
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Quote Originally Posted by muert0
    I used opera for a little bit and couldn't get the tabs to work the way I wanted. Played around with it for a good while. I've reverted back to firefox. Anyone know how to make the tabs work like firefox?
    What's was bugging you? You can put the little X buttons on each tab, or in a single thing to the right side. Or you can put the bar elsewhere on the screen. Or change the shortcuts...

The only thing I found intolerable about Opera was the fact that you can't put any other toolbar on the same level as the menu bar. That's wasted space, to me. The solution offered on their forums was a Wagnerian Opera (pun intended) to do, and it really didn't solve the problem, so much as sidestep it.

I don't know what the "wagnerian opera" solution was, but I can put, say, my status bar up top right next to the address bar and google search box, if that's what you mean.

No, the menu bar, as it is in this pic of my browser bar
    http://www.jpages.net/images/maxthonblueblack.gif