Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox Myth debunking?

Firefox Myth debunking?

So a friend gave me this and told me he was going to switch to opera

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Suppor...efoxMyths.html

he did say it was mostly for speed, but operas ugly so he might not, lol

what do you guys think?

the security sources seem a little out of context. like 2 unpatched vulns from 2004, if u look they are for firefox 0.98 and 1.0 but i dont know, its still an interesting article and makes u face some facts
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum

Opera user here.

If you're continually trying to trick out your browser, stick with Firefox. If you're a power-user multitasker, try Opera. Like any browser change, it could take a little getting used to though. I'd gush a lot about various features, but it's almost easier to wait and see if there's anything you think Opera can't do :P
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Everything has it's supporters and it's detractors...everyone brings into it their own bias...the argument ' which is better? ' will rage on indefinitely.

What to do?

If you like Firefox, use it...if you like IE, then use that...if Opera turns your crank, then use that...

...find something you like...something that works for you...there never will be a ' perfect ' all-encompassing browser.
    Last edited by Egaladeist; January 4th, 2007 at 02:20 AM.

In Opera's defense, it may look ugly by default, but you can skin it many ways or use your OS's default appearance. (Or to look like firefox.)

As for speed, AFAIK it's fairly well established that Opera is faster than FireFox when it comes to lots of tabs open. The main loss is extensions, although firefox comes with a wide variety of ad-blocking search-shortcut-defining page-layout-changing bandwidth-saving per-site-preferences feature stuff built in.

Personally I prefer the taoist method of just becoming one with the web.

I'd gush a lot about various features, but it's almost easier to wait and see if there's anything you think Opera can't do :P
    one thing I love about FF is NoScript. I really like being able to only allow scripts on certain pages... is there an easy way to do this with Opera?
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Heck, you can even do that with IE6.

Westin: Go to the site that needs a custom on/off setting. Right click on page. Select "Edit Site Preferences...". Click on the Scripting tab. Tick/Untick "Enable Javascript". Click OK to leave the dialog.

Alternative: Use the "quick preferences" menu (F12 on windows) to toggle JS on and off as needed. 

Opera also supports UserJS scripts and compatibility for GreaseMonkey scripting.

Heck, you can even do that with IE6.
    Right on... I haven't used Opera in ages... just wondering if they had added that... I suppose I will download it and have a look...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

For what it's worth, Opera is really the only new standalone browser since IE and Netscape. As we know, FF uses (it's own version of) Netcape's Gecko engine. There's a ton of IE shells out there using IE's trident engine, but only Opera wrote their own (the presto engine).