Thread: tunnel with ssh?

tunnel with ssh?

so i have a question about tunneling. i have a server at school (FC5) i need to update and because of our schools firewall whenever i "yum update" when it brings down the headers they are incomplete and it fails (and takes forever to fail to). i have a friend with an ssh server and i was going to tunnel port 80 through it to get the updates. the only question is i get a weird error
    my command is
    Code:
    ssh -l myuser -D 80 theserverip
    is this right? will this even work? ive only used tunneling to do connections to my own vnc server and that was through putty so it was a lil easier (more specific). fyi im not using my server cause it runs on port 10001 and my schools firewall again filters it out. any answers would be helpful, thnx
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum

I know very little about YUM, but this might help.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

that definitely helps, but i still have a few questions. can i use port 80 to port 80? id rather not have to change the port on all the repos and im not good enough in perl or bash scripting to automate it right now. also, when i do it on my server it tells me it cant bind to the port, but my command looks like it might be wrong since the command in the link you gave me used -L and some other stuff. i have httpd on it but not running. but after i try it, i started httpd and it said it was being used. so how do i unbind a port if it is? i just restarted cause i didnt know.
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum

Just Another Geek
    ssh -l myuser -D 80 theserverip
    You will have to tell YUM to use SOCKS and use localhost (127.0.0.1) as the SOCKS proxy. That should work, not sure, I don't use FC.

On my freebsd machine I use cvsup to update the src and ports tree. Cvs uses port 5999, for it to work I use a command like:

ssh -L5999:cvsup.freebsd.org:5999 myuser@someserver

That will create a tunnel from my machine to someserver. I then tell cvsup to update via localhost (127.0.0.1) and it connects through the tunnel to cvsup.freebsd.org.
    Last edited by SirDice; January 10th, 2007 at 04:45 AM.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

thanks, that makes sense. i should be able to do that. any ideas about undbinding a port? it would be convenient not for just the server at school but also my home server
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum