Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Processor downgrade???

Processor downgrade???

Hello all!
    Does someone know a program under winXP that can change the CPU speed. I would like to test how long my notebook will work on 1 Ghz compared to the usual 2Ghz.

When I'm working on batteries I use only Word - so I believe that all that computing power from 2 Ghz is absolutely not necessary.

Thank you in advance!
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

Hi,

Please be a little cautious here. I do have a couple of proggys that will let you change the performance speed but I don't think that they actually change the clock speed. So the machine will still draw the same power.

These proggys are designed to let you play old games

Some modern lappys do have a feature where they ramp down the processor when you are on battery power.

What make and model do you have?

I have Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 @ 2Ghz.

I know it is a good processor, but I would like to experiment a little bit.

Hi Dan~,

What make and model of laptop is it?........ you are more likely to find your answer in the BIOS and management software as far as I know

SpeedswitchXP does well. I use it and keep my laptop underclocked to 800MHz. Realize you can't manually enter your speed, but you can set to say Max Battery, which in the case of my laptop, is half it's clock speed.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

@nihil
    Dell XPS 1710
    http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

I know that the BIOS can give me an answer to my question, but I would like to have something running under windows that control the things.

I use the lap top everyday at the University to write the lectures in math on on it. It is working for 3:30h without problems, but I want to see if it can do better

P.S. 3.30h are just right for me but you know I'm curies to see the absolute maximum

@ alakhiyar yesterday I tried the program you are telling. I did exactly the same what you write, but as I measured the CPU speed through the program it was always showing 1995Mhz

Hi Dan~,

I am afraid that you will have difficulty in finding something that will control the hardware via your operating system.

At best you would have to reboot to apply the settings.

Underclocking is just the same as overclocking............. it is not something that you do on the fly. Please have a look at your power saving options........ they may help?

Also, remember that your battery is deteriorating, and will probably only be efficient for about 500 cycles............. maybe you should have a spare?

Antionline Herpetologist
    Underclocking is just the same as overclocking............. it is not something that you do on the fly. Please have a look at your power saving options........ they may help?
    This is normally the case when you're using a standard computer. However, mobile CPUs from Intel and AMD have been capable of dynamically regulating their speed for quite a while now. This is normally managed automatically by Windows. All the program that alakhiyar linked to does is give you more control over this.
    If it isn't working for you, you might not have a mobile processor. I know very little about Intel's branding, since I'm a long time AMD user, but I would assume that if your laptop doesn't have the Centrino branding, it uses a desktop processor rather than a mobile one?
    Of course, the program might just not be compatible with your particular processor even if it is a mobile one.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

From the specifications it is actually a portable gaming and entertainments machine.

Whilst it does have a mobile processor, I doubt if it has the full range of power saving features that some other models do. As far as I am aware, gaming and entertainments machines are meant to be run at full capacity.

There might be an option to set a more economical configuration, but I am pretty sure that this will not be the default. I guess you need to look at the BIOS and management software options as a starting point.

Hello!
    I'm sorry for answering so late.
    I looked in th BIOS - there is nothing that I can change.
    So I believe there is nothing that can be done to extend the battery life.