Thread: OSX on x86

OSX on x86

Well, with the new hardware, i am trying this. I cannot say that i have gotten that far yet as the chipset of my Asrock S775 board does not seem to have a decent driver in Mac OS X.

I know that some of you tried to run it as well. Did any of you get anyway? If so, on what hardware?

http://www.osx86project.org/
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Developer Extraordinar
    I've heard of plenty of cases where it's been done, I've never got it to work (mind you, I didn't try very hard), but I gave up because it seems like all the releases that were working were older than the current (which is to be expected, considering they have to be patched and whatnot.) Anyways, I got as far as the Installer once, but it failed, and was a hassle, so I gave up. However, I do own a Macbook Pro, so I can tell you, if you get OS X working, it's well worth it.

enmand

I've ran OS X under VMWare... and I know others that have installed it natively (It was a Toshiba Satellite laptop)..

In the end though, it's the one project that I've never been overly impressed with. The performance loss of running OS X on your own doesn't seem to justify the benefits of OS X... Either buy a Mac or stick with something else... At least that's my feeling on it.

Antionline Herpetologist
    I tried once, in VMWare, and it installed fine but failed to boot. I've been meaning to try again for a while now, but I've been busy with University and never really got the time for an extended session of troubleshooting.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

I agree with you on all accounts. I felt that OS X was quite a bit faster on boot though compared to my Windows XP 64 bit installation.

BeOS also has many of the same things implemented.

I should probably get a new guide out soon.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I have a hp dv4170us laptop, I tried 10 times to get it installed. It got so far as to boot to the installer, format the hd, and "install". It froze when it was done and wanted to reboot. After a hard reboot, nothing happened. Ive since given up on it on my laptop. I am going to try and get it running on the pentium D desktop board soon. Hopefully things go better.
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

Just Another Geek
    What version of OS-X are you trying to install?

If I look through the HCL for 10.4.8 I see a ASRock 775Dual mentioned there. You might want to check it's install instructions if your board is similar.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.