Thread: Shopping for a deal

Shopping for a deal

I've been hunting online trying to find the lowest cost legal copy of Xp home edition. My best price I found is 79.99 plus 4$ shipping. If anyone knows of a better deal I would love to hear it. The computer is going to my mother-in-law, so I'm trying not to spend too much since shes broke like everyone else.

Thanks for your info

Just a consideration, but next time...buy a refurbished PC which could cost around $200 - $300. They typically have XP preinstalled. IBM has a bunch of netvista units available for $250-350 and compaq has a few EVO units out on the market for $229.

Take a look at your nearest computer retail store and ask for copies of windows. Most stores have significantly reduced the price of XP OS due to the launch of VISTA. I've picked up a copy of XP-Media Center for $45 at Microcenter.

http://www.viosoftware.com/Windows+X...13941a73e52c91
    Only about $6 less but $6 is $6 But it's SP1...

EDIT: This is another one: http://www.atomicpark.com/xq/aspx/mi...uctdetail.html
    <3 Froogle
    Last edited by Raion; January 21st, 2007 at 03:01 PM.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

I checked out viosoftware.com already. And if it werent for the fact that this computer belongs to someone else I would have bought a used one already and just put the hard drive in it. Im trying to repair what she wants to keep. It's not an upgrade or anything. She can't find her restore disk, and the thing has too many problems to list. Lets just say that a 12 year old who likes to download music has been on it for a while. Anyways, I might go with the viosoftware.com, I was just hoping someone knew where I could get it for about half. I've stated before on this site that I pay for electricity to live under this rock.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I appreciate it.

You could get an OEM copy of Vista for not much more than that, and mine arrived this morning (OCUK) did a deal for early release:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...id=33&catid=20

I wouldn't advise anyone buying XP now that Vista is out. Or go with the suggestion of a refurbished PC (though I couldn't be 100% certain they'd qualify for the free upgrade to Vista, though any new PC bought between November and January should).
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Hi there Boogymantroy,

I don't know if I am too late, but you did mention a "restore disk" which suggests that it is a brand name machine? [incidentally, are you sure that it doesn't have a "restore partition"?]

If that is not the case, and she is the original registered owner, the cheapest solution might be to get a replacement CD from the OEM?

Otherwise, try looking around a few small local stores if you have any. They are probably wanting to offload any stocks that they still have. I have seen XP home on sale here for around half price.

Well I am sure that there isnt a partion *I low level formatted it*. I have a set of oem discs, but they don't have the actual os on them. I know someone that just bought the same brand pc so I am gonna pay them a visit to see what they have. As for half price..... I wish. The local mentalitiy is * I have the only one and it's worth full price*. Online, is the only place you can get discounts around here. I haven't tried getting her to call the OEM to see if they will send another one. I suppose that could be next. I figured since the pc was 3 or 4 years old they wouldn't. Thanks for your help.

Well, there have been a variety of different approaches to this recovery disk/partition thing over the past few years.

In theory you should not be able to wipe a recovery partition unless you use a live CD and some third party tools. It can be done, but rarely by accident.

If your set of OEM disks has a recovery disk amongst them, it might be worth trying.

Depending on the OEM, you might get a surprise, as they probably have a number of spare disks and little hope of selling them. If you can't get any satisfaction from customer support, try the marketing department............ they tend to have a better grasp of "customer satisfaction"

Boogymantroy see PM I sent you.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature