Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh for goodness sake !!

Quote Originally Posted by HTRegz
    That is not Vista.... That is a separate product... Also note that McAfee also failed (and they are supposed to be leaders in the market) as did Norman AV (which Webroot recently licensed the technology for to include in their software)..
    Hmmmm you got as far as Windows Live OneCare and decided it wasn't Vista,okay but as I see it, it is wedded to Vista, so a rose by any other name?

Version 1.5 of Windows Live OneCare was co-launched with Vista and uses the same scanning "engine" as the security tools bundled with the operating system. Typically users pay a yearly subscription to use Live OneCare.
    Still appears to be a problem when associated with Vista...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Lots of things appear to be a problem when associated with Vista. They only just released an update to allow usb drives to be recognised - when I first installed it, I had 4 usb keys and none of them worked! 15 gig of bloat and not even usb support ..... shocking!
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Quote Originally Posted by Moira
    Lots of things appear to be a problem when associated with Vista. They only just released an update to allow usb drives to be recognised - when I first installed it, I had 4 usb keys and none of them worked! 15 gig of bloat and not even usb support ..... shocking!
    But it sure is purdy. Wow! Vista *looks* great! Who cares if I can't use it.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Quote Originally Posted by dalek
    Hmmmm you got as far as Windows Live OneCare and decided it wasn't Vista,okay but as I see it, it is wedded to Vista, so a rose by any other name?

Still appears to be a problem when associated with Vista...
    I wouldn't consider Vista to be wedded to Live OneCare... yes they've released a Vista-centric version but that doesn't bind the two... you're free to use any AV you desire on Vista...

As for the comment in the article about it using the "same" scanning engine as "security software included with vista" (Read: Windows Defender)... This is inaccurate...

Live OneCare had one engine.... Windows Defender had one engine.... Windows Defender has that same engine... Live OneCare has a single engine which is a melding of the original two.. (See blog post announcing it)

As you will note OneCare disables Defender... However on the malware side they have the same coverage... So this still isn't a detriment to Vista... the only loss to the customer is that Live OneCare isn't as good as some of the other AVs on the Virus side... So I still don't see a direct relationship to Vista..

As a side note you have to remember that Live OneCare still isn't a mature product, and there's a chance that older, insignificant viruses that were never included in the front load process were available via Virus Bulletin.. As I said... McAfee, a leader in the AV Space, failed... so what does that say about the tests...

Moira, sounds to me like a driver issue.. so maybe it was missing certain models of usb drive drivers... I had no issues with my sandisk usb drive on inital boot..

Quote Originally Posted by dalek
    When you got enough money (like MS), you CAN have it both ways...

“Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by phishphreek80
    But it sure is purdy. Wow! Vista *looks* great! Who cares if I can't use it.
    That's about right I can't help but be impressed by the aurora screensaver and the desktop pictures are genuinly nice. Best of all, when you have lots of windows open and multitask like I do, the aero view of switching windows is amazing, it has so much depth. Yes, Vista has faults, but the graphics have been done very nicely!
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Well vista looks great IMO but drivers are playing a huge role with my internet. See my post : http://antionline.com/showthread.php?t=274647

1 question. On another forum i was reading, just trying to find a driver fix for myself. Someone posted at how pathetic MS was for releasing Vista before any companies or manufactures got their drivers out etc.

The reply was something to the extent that the person who said that was an idiot and knew nothing about a new OS being implemented. I do have some curiosity what is wrong with that statement.

Was it the manufactures fault for not getting their butts in order or whatever. Just want to see your guys and gals comments.

Cheers.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cider
    Well vista looks great IMO but drivers are playing a huge role with my internet. See my post : http://antionline.com/showthread.php?t=274647

1 question. On another forum i was reading, just trying to find a driver fix for myself. Someone posted at how pathetic MS was for releasing Vista before any companies or manufactures got their drivers out etc.

The reply was something to the extent that the person who said that was an idiot and knew nothing about a new OS being implemented. I do have some curiosity what is wrong with that statement.

Was it the manufactures fault for not getting their butts in order or whatever. Just want to see your guys and gals comments.

Cheers.
    The vendors had plenty of time... many were just lazy... they're now in a jam..

Quote Originally Posted by Cider

Cheers.
    1. Microsoft don't do hardware to any real extent so you can hardly blame them. They are a software house.

2. Most companies got their drivers out in time. That is why you can go out and buy a new Vista computer that works just fine.

3. Vista is a new operating system, rather than just a minor revamp of existing ones. It has been known all along that it would be very demanding resource wise, and that there would probably be issues with drivers.

4. There is no real incentive for hardware manufacturers incurring the costs of supporting obsolete kit, when they make their money out of selling you new stuff. And Microsoft certainly couldn't care less about it.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    True ... but now what does someone like myself do? Go buy a new router or modem just to get the driver. That is waste of money IMO ... tight jam.

Marketing scam i tell you
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein