Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exchange removing users emails from outlook

Webius Designerous Indiginous

Exchange removing users emails from outlook

Okay, I have a user that had a new computer installed, and upon switching their exchange email account to the new computer, the outlook started removing all of their emails from their inbox. They just start dissapearing during a "send and recieve" process.

Any ideas why this is happeneing?

-xmaddness

AOs Resident Troll
    Does the user have a filter on???

Has the mailbox fully synched??

Try another box...setup a profile ...and see if it happens

I have never seen anything like that ...ever and have been working with exchange for 9 years.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

User has no filters, and at the time of the emails going, the send and recieve was at 8%. I told the user to let it finish 100% and we will see where we stand then.

This is the second time I have seen this happen. I fixed it the first time but was not really sure what i did. I am using a new pst file which is saved to the users backup share on the main domain server. Think that may have something to do with it?

Look to see if autoarchive is enabled. You are normally asked when you create a new profile if you want to enable auto-archive. If you answer yes it will delete old messages or messages that have not been opened in awhile. It is either that or a rule of some type.

I would have a look at the users mail box on the actual Exchange Server - if it says 0 bytes....then start working out a way to blame to user for deleting all his emails ....if it's not empty, try rebuilding the users Outlook profile....if that doesn't work - via AD, not Exchange, delete the users mail box (you will get a warning saying the user will lose all his mail box but ignore it, it is referring to the AD account and not the actual mail box on the Ex server),then go back to the Exchange server and the users old email mail box will have a small red 'x' next to it - simply right click it and assign it back to the user - this will ensure the users AD account is tied into the mail box.....you may need to rebuild the Outlook profile again.

He didn't have everything in a PST before did he? As the emails in his inbox were on the Exchange server?
    Last edited by Nokia; February 10th, 2007 at 02:12 AM.

AOs Resident Troll
    as nokia says...always blame the user

I think it was a sync issue....

an hopefully the mailbox is fine now it finished the process

sounds like Outlook 2003 or greater???

havent played with 2007 yet......

I think it was a large mailbox...syncing back up to a server issue...

May want to sync on the local machine and the move\map the pst after the initial sync is done

maybe a network or user space restriction issue...specially if the mailbox is large

MHO as always

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; February 10th, 2007 at 06:17 AM.

Well I let the sync finish it self (it only took like four hours) and what happened was it took the mail from the users exchange store and placed it into a new pst file I created on the users network share. It basically took each piece of mail, removed it from the originally created user mailbox, and moved them all to the new pst.

Well its all good now and at least I know now what was going on. There is nothing worse than watching each piece of mail be removed before your eyes. lol

Thanks all.

-xmaddness

Just curious: Why do you store it in a pst? Why not just leave it on the exchange server? I've done it to get around the quota... Otherwise, the user can't use the exchange web client and they'll have to configure outlook to point to that PC for every computer they log onto. Or, do you have roaming profiles?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AOs Resident Troll
    Outlook 2003 creates a locally stored PST when connecting to Exchange in cached mode(default)

Cached mode has better performance...plus if user disconnects from the exchange...they can still work etc and all is updated again when client reconnects\syncs to the exchange.
    OWA is still available.

MLF

Thanks for the explanation. We're still on Exchange 2000 with Outlook 2000 but I'm actually planning a 2000 to 2007 transition at this very moment.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.