Thread: utils

utils

sorry i havn't been around much latly to offer any assistance i can. we got a new IT director and 3 days later a horde of project managers marched in and turned the place upside down. sharepoint, esx, etc.

were getting toward the end of the madness now and im hopping one of you knows of 2 utilites i need to find...downloading and testing are taking time i really dont have.....but im still trying.

i need a util that will take files before a certain date and move them to another server. ive been trying with batch files... make a list, copy then delete...to dam slow and i cant keep the tree

i also need to inventory all the remotes specs using vpn, ive tryed a couple and one might do the job for me if i cant find anthing better, gives me everthing but the HD size which i can always psexec in and get...but maybe someone knows of one better. i have it at home but cant remember the name right now.

TIA
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

This is a file and folder management utility that might work?

http://www.allmysoft.com/download_FoldMonkey_9212.htm

You didn't mention any budget...

If it were me, I'd use the following:

I use commvault galaxy backup/recover for backups and disaster recover. The following product integrates nicely and I've seen demos. I just don't *need* it at this second. However, it can be used on its own.

http://www.commvault.com/migration_and_archiving.asp

As far as auditing:

Did you mean auditing remote workstations for hardware/software?

If so, I currently use TrackIT (which is far more than just auditing.)
    They do have a standalone for that feature which is awesome.
    http://www.numarasoftware.com/AssetManager.asp

I also am a fan of aida32
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html

(which is now everest)
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/over...?pid=3&lang=en

Keep in mind... I'm not really held to any budget. If I think I need something, I justify it to my boss and he normally doesn't care. I just can't go crazy.
    Last edited by phishphreek; February 16th, 2007 at 02:56 AM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

hi nihil! hi phish!

we do hafe this information backed up on tape but for some reason they also want it archived on another box dedicated to keeping these archives for accesability i guss and to make space on our file servers. we fill 5 tapes evernight and it either this or buy another tape drive and that a few grand, we are using ADIC now.

do you think this can be done with tar?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

What OS do you need the file utility for? If it is windows I would suggest robocopy.

With robocopy the command line argument is:

/move to remove source files after being copied
    /MAXAGE:n :: MAXimum file AGE - exclude files older than n days/date.
    /MINAGE:n :: MINimum file AGE - exclude files newer than n days/date.
    /MAXLAD:n :: MAXimum Last Access Date - exclude files unused since n.
    /MINLAD:n :: MINimum Last Access Date - exclude files used since n.
    (If n < 1900 then n = n days, else n = YYYYMMDD date).

You can also create jobs in a definition file and run robocopy from the definition file so that you don't have to always recreate the parameters.

I was just going to recommend robocopy too! I just remembered it was part of the resource kit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocopy

Good thinking mohaughn
    Last edited by phishphreek; February 16th, 2007 at 08:03 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

robocopy is a utility i have used for years and I couldn't live without it...

Combine robocopy with some basic batch file scripting and you can create some very powerful jobs for managing files and shares.

Wouldn't you also have to use a destination switch like /MIR in order to keep the directory structure/tree?

I would use /E if I only wanted to copy the directory structure not /MIR. /MIR also does a purge. So if you have files that exist on the "repository" server that no longer exist on the source server it will delete them. Since the original request said he wanted to move the files /MIR would not work as the second time you ran it it would purge all of the files you moved in your first batch.

I do however use the /MIR option. For instance I have three servers that contain my staging data for new servers. Because I deploy servers all over the US I have different staging points at different geographical/network locations to speed up copying large install files. What I do is update only the primary staging share and then use robocopy with the /MIR option to automatically copy new files, and delete old files that are no longer needed.

It really is powerful when you start to look at all the possible combinations of switches you can use.

C:\temp>ROBOCOPY u: X: /xa:h /xa:s /minage:20051210 /move /b

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows :: Version XP010
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started : Sat Feb 24 17:31:19 2007

Source : U:\
    Dest : X:\

Files : *.*

Options : *.* /COPYAT /MOVE /B /XA:SH /MINAGE:20051210 /R:1000000 /W:30

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1063 U:\
    New File 0 .addressbook
    2007/02/24 17:31:19 ERROR 5 (0x00000005) Copying File U:\.addressbook
    Access is denied.
    Waiting 30 seconds...^C
    C:\temp>ROBOCOPY u: X: /xa:h /xa:s /minage:20051210 /move /b

i've tried so many combos my heads spinning