Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 219

Thread: End of the Universe Part Two

  1. #31
    Agony Aunty-Online Moira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,063
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMittens
    (although I don't see why people need to be fascinated with Paris Hilton et al but *shrug*)
    Exactly

    When you say "have to be tolerant"
    *sighs*

    Why sound so belligerant? All I meant was if you expect one kind of behaviour/reaction from me, then for you to achieve that, you need to be displaying it in turn.
    77 111 105 114 97

    My PGP signature

  2. #32
    Senior Member JPnyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,734
    What is "WOW"?

  3. #33
    The ******* Shadow dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Moira
    Why sound so belligerant? All I meant was if you expect one kind of behaviour/reaction from me, then for you to achieve that, you need to be displaying it in turn.
    I don't believe I was being belligerent (sp), if it comes across as that then apologies...I believe I was asking if what you were saying was sincere or not.Like you don't "have" to on my account if "you" don't want to, nobody is holding a gun to your head, but if the bible tells you to be more tolerant or to be more considerate to other's then this isn't really you is it? I could act in accordance with a set of instructions as well, but that's the beauty of being a free thinking individual, I choose not to or choose to do so...does that make me a bad person, maybe according to the bible it does, I don't see it that way.

    To each their own, I respect the fact that your convinced that what you say is truth, I am convinced that what I say or believe is truth.

    Trust me, this isn't me...
    Atheist


    Peace.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

    "When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

  4. #34
    The ******* Shadow dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    What is "WOW"?
    World of Warcraft or in English 24/7/365 and a huge electric bill...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

    "When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

  5. #35
    Agony Aunty-Online Moira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,063
    That wasn't aimed at you dalek it was actually MsMittens who sounded almost angry! But I accept that our world is not ruled by God right now.

    Anyway, this is side tracking ... I was more interested in an explanation for the size of the universe.
    77 111 105 114 97

    My PGP signature

  6. #36
    Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    7,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Moira
    That wasn't aimed at you dalek it was actually MsMittens who sounded almost angry! But I accept that our world is not ruled by God right now.

    Anyway, this is side tracking ... I was more interested in an explanation for the size of the universe.
    Uh. Ok. Now I'm confused. When you said:

    *sighs*

    Why sound so belligerant? All I meant was if you expect one kind of behaviour/reaction from me, then for you to achieve that, you need to be displaying it in turn.
    You had a quote from Dalek above it so it would make sense to believe that you were referring to Dalek than me.

    Additionally, you are assuming I'm angry. I'm neither angry nor sad. I'm rather ill right now from coughing so much but don't feel an extreme emotion either way to this thread. It feels like you are associating what you think I might be feeling based on your interpretation of what I have written. And that interpretation isn't necessarily fact as I just present a view and not a specific emotion when discussing an issue.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    central il
    Posts
    1,779
    actualy moria i think there are two simple explanations.



    look every thing has been moving away for mevery thigns else at a very high rate, light traveling from one end toa another has been moveing at a high speed realitive to every thing else....pay attention to the fram of referance...You seem to think there are finite beginnigs and endings of time, while there are, kind of, its not that clear cut...ifyou where standign on the true north pole, you would be at the "top" or beginning of the planat, but would you recognize that fact...more over if the world where expanding and you had two pouints (x,y) and (a,b) something could travle from those points at the same relitive speed the entire time, but travle a greater distance then that speed would normaly allow....this is all ocverd in special relitivity and hawkings time thories...nothing new or unexplainable here, just a parlor trick to amaze the sheeple. the artical you site is in newscientists, this is a popscience rag, it tends to be full of this type of oh wow parlor trick with very little deapth, and little signe of scientific knowladge... http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/...scientist.html and thats a guy who thinks its worthwile to try and save this tabloid.

    but even if we ignore the source for this artical, we still have your conjecture, that the horizen problem is somehow good evidnece for a creator...where in fact it isn't there are very good explinations in verious modles of the universe for this "problem" none of them require a line that states "and here magic happens". Dose that mean there is no creator...nope, but it isn't the creators fingerprints either...just a neat little blip that shows us that our understanding of the universe is stil evolveing...no new age, ID crap needed here.
    Last edited by JPnyc; March 7th, 2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Please find a more congenial way of expressing your opinions.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

  8. #38
    Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    797
    I wouldn't use church attendance as a litmus of spirituality. "Being in a church makes you no more Christian than being in a garage makes you a car." I don't know who said that, it was a direct quote but we could extrapolate the church to be temple, mosque and open the religion to others.

    Another quote seen on a Methodist ministers bumper sticker, "God is too big to fit into one religion."

    One of the precepts of getting along in society is being tolerant of others. I can't think of a more personal choice than a person's spirituality.
    ddddc

    "Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Moira
    I believe the circumstantial evidence that God exists is huge. You're correct when you say nobody has disproven the existence of God though.
    ...and nobody ever will. It is impossible to prove a universal negative. Especially in this case when regardless of all refuting evidence, the definition, attributes, persona, embodiment, and location of said creature always change--particularly when presented with scientific evidence saying the contrary.

    The universe is larger than it (under simple logic) should be coorespondant to its age. This means God exists? No no, that "logic" within itself is a drastic leap of faith. Do we not know as much about astrophysics as the thought? There is no doubt.

    Quote Originally Posted by fourdc
    Another quote seen on a Methodist ministers bumper sticker, "God is too big to fit into one religion."
    lol. That's awesome.

    PS: 300th post! w00t w00t
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

  10. #40
    Agony Aunty-Online Moira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,063
    Actually MsMittens the quote immediately above (when you say "have to be tolerant") was yours.

    I'll reply to the other posts tomorrow, I need an early night as I'm getting up for work in under 5 hours
    77 111 105 114 97

    My PGP signature

Similar Threads

  1. Tutorials Forum - Index
    By Negative in forum Other Tutorials Forum
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: April 17th, 2021, 11:27 AM
  2. Tutorials Forum - Index
    By Negative in forum The Security Tutorials Forum
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: March 20th, 2007, 04:42 AM
  3. Perl Tutorial, Part 2
    By ch4r in forum Other Tutorials Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 30th, 2005, 09:29 PM
  4. Perl Tutorial, Part 1
    By ch4r in forum Other Tutorials Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 30th, 2005, 09:23 PM
  5. The Worlds Longest Thread!
    By Noble Hamlet in forum AntiOnline's General Chit Chat
    Replies: 1100
    Last Post: March 17th, 2002, 09:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •