Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: End of the Universe Part Two

********** |ceWriterguy
    I believe several things -

1. Tinfoil hats won't protect you.

2. Yes, there's intelligent life out there. There's gotta be, it bloody well ain't found here.

3. My God is laughing his ass off right now - he gave us free will and thought, and all we ever seem to use it for is to argue his/her/its existance and what his/her/its will is, or what idiot we next want to put into political office. After giving us all this for our obvious misuse, he took another toke and made the Platypus.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Banned
    Your signature suits you very well

Sorry, couldn't resist...

********** |ceWriterguy
    *a tip of the infernal trident to ye Neg* There's a reason that sig's there after all
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Banned
    I'm not Jewish (and I suspect you are neither), so according to Revelation (aptly described by some as "St. John on acid") I'll burn in hell anyway. That's another of those little "details" that are conveniently ignored by bible-thumpers: Revelation 7:4 clearly indicates the number of folks who will be saved in the aftermath of armageddon: 144,000. It goes on to mention the 12 (Jewish!) tribes that will make up the magic number (12,000 of each tribe), and I'm not among them (neither is anyone else participating in this discussion for that matter).

Those seats have long been taken, buddy

What if God was an Atheist...chicken and the egg who came first, who created God?...
    I guess we'll never know that dalek ....
    Last edited by Moira; March 15th, 2007 at 11:57 PM.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Moira
    Aardosymon to have adapted in the first place it must have been near enough right. We could never have been born on something totally inhospitable.

look billions of planets....the odds of one being hospitipal for life is less then the total number of planets....at least one has life...there is no suprise their, again law of very lare numbers.

|3lack|ce considering that the navy just admited to haveing a device that can project voices in your head over great distances (useing an EM pulse) the tinfoil hat may just protect you
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Quote Originally Posted by bballad
    |3lack|ce considering that the navy just admited to haveing a device that can project voices in your head over great distances (useing an EM pulse) the tinfoil hat may just protect you
    I thought the whole Tin-foil hat thing was laid to rest when that team (too lazy to find the link) actually showed that they actually increase reception of exclusive government RF bands? Tin foil hats within themselves are a consipircy by The Man to catch those who would attempt to decieve and defy Him. Do not be fooled!
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

Mankind is a spiritual creature. To obliterate that is to deny mankind's essence. In effect removing a range of emotions such as wonder. This deep seeded affect isn't learned. It's genetic. One cannot make a case for evoluton and conveniently drop the idea.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

First, I would like to take a moment to mention that I find this thread to be incredibly amusing. Second, what you are about to read is my opinion and my opinion alone. My intention is not to make someone believe, or not believe, my opinion but instead to voice what I believe.

That said, when it comes to the whole topic of "Why do we exist?" or the topic of "Who/what created us?", I believe that I exist because my mother and father decided to have sex and thus I was "created". For me, that is enough. What would we gain from the knowledge of why "we" all exist or who created "us"? Peace of mind? Entrance in to "Heaven" or "Hell"? Acceptance by our creator(s)? For me, none of those would change anything. I would still exist and everything around me would go on as it always has.

Then again, maybe knowing the answer to those questions would be the equivalent of me winning the lottery! Maybe once those questions are answered, everything will cease to exist and I will then find that I have been nothing but an unknowing participant in an elaborate game show. The ultimate "reality" show! What would my prize be? DOH! Yet another question!

Maybe, just maybe, once I answer those questions, I will become "god" him/her/itself! Maybe those questions are just an elaborate form of "tagging" the next person and we are all just unknowing participants in an elaborate game of tag and "god" is just a term to refer to the one that is "it"!

I feel that, even if I spend every moment of everyday of my existence, I can never answer those questions. Honestly, I wouldn't even think it to be possible because no one else has answered the questions. If they had, wouldn't they share the answer? If not, why wouldn't they want to? Is it because they are selfish? Maybe they can't because knowing the answer made them a quadraplegic deaf mute! Or worse, maybe knowing this knowledge has killed them? If that is the case, then I don't want to know the answer!

Now that I have all of that out of my system, and believe me when I say that is only the tip of the iceberg for what I have in my head regarding that subject, maybe I should share what I believe about other topics.

To stay on topic here, I feel that the original post here can be quite confusing giving it's information. As far as our scientists can deduce, the universe is only 14 million light years old but it is 28 million light years around, if we assume it is round. How is this possible? To illustrate how this may work, take a round cake pan and pour a glass of water in to the middle of it. Now the water doesn't take the shape of the glass it was poured from because it now conforms to the shape that the pan allows. This means that it now appears to have a larger shape than what the glass had. It also didn’t fill the pan up from the point you poured it in to one point on the side of the pan, instead it spread out evenly from the center as best it could. The distance between the center and the side of the pan is now twice that of the entire distance from side to side. What's this have to do with the original post? well 14 is half of 28 so that would mean that the universe has had 14 million light years to expand outwards from it's center which equates to being 28 million light years wide. I honestly do not see how this proves, or disproves, the existence of a "creator" or that the theory of evolution is (in)correct.

Well, I am bored of listening to myself talk/type so I will leave it at that and welcome any comments regarding the information I have presented here.
    Last edited by raisor; March 18th, 2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling/grammer
    May Everyone Find the Happiness That They Deserve,
    Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by raisor
    To stay on topic here, I feel that the original post here can be quite confusing giving it's information. As far as our scientists can deduce, the universe is only 14 million light years old but it is 28 million light years around, if we assume it is round. How is this possible? To illustrate how this may work, take a round cake pan and pour a glass of water in to the middle of it. Now the water doesn't take the shape of the glass it was poured from because it now conforms to the shape that the pan allows. This means that it now appears to have a larger shape than what the glass had. It also didn’t fill the pan up from the point you poured it in to one point on the side of the pan, instead it spread out evenly from the center as best it could. The distance between the center and the side of the pan is now twice that of the entire distance from side to side. What's this have to do with the original post? well 14 is half of 28 so that would mean that the universe has had 14 million light years to expand outwards from it's center which equates to being 28 million light years wide. I honestly do not see how this proves, or disproves, the existence of a "creator" or that the theory of evolution is (in)correct.
    That's a good point, not something that had occurred to me. In fact it's so simple I can't believe it didn't occur to the authors of the article - surely there must be some stumbling point, something more mysterious to it than that?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature