Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ghosts / Paranormal / Supernatural phenomenon

I've seen it from the show on TV and there is a Wiki article about it, it's amazing looking from both the outside and inside.

Also one thing I haven't seen mentioned by anyone, and this being a great example of bringing this up, some people believe that when something is built on minerals, like The Stanley Hotel is, that these rocks can record history.

When the right conditions are met, they play back what they've stored. They brought this up on Ghost Hunters when they were investigating The Stanley Hotel. One of them mentioned the type of rocks the Hotel is Built on is actualy a recording one that in theory could record history, and whenever certain conditions are met, play it back.

Some people that worked there said Kitchen staff would hear noise like a party was goign on in the Ball room area and come out and see people from a long time ago standing there and then vanishing, and they brought up it could have been a party from like the 30s or 40s and the right conditions were there to play it back. And since the Hotel hasn't been re-done, all the rooms are pretty much where they were back then, so it was in the ball room.

As far as I know the only work done to it besides maintenence was a fire or something where some rooms were re-done.

But this is another interesting point, what if these rocks can play back things that happened long ago making people think they seen a Ghost? It could explain some places. Although intelligent hauntings wouldn't fall into this as they can interact with humans.

A lot of people scoff at theories like that, but if particles of iron (i.e. tape) can record stuff, why not some other particles too. In the UK's ghost hunting programme (Most Haunted) the psychics on the show talk about this sort of thing as "residual energy" which is absorbed into the environment of buildings.

I think there must be something in it, as I don't believe all psychics are frauds, even if many of them are. Probably one day science will be able to explain why some people's brains are more sensitive to this energy....
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Yet again my productivity is stolen by some website, surprised it was here of all places however the stories shared so far managed to spike the weird-schisse-meter pretty good.

As far as personal beliefs I'm sold on the idea of ghosts, had more than enough incidents while crashing over at a former gf's house to convince me. One such instance that comes to mind is sitting there watching tv, and in the back of my vision i could see the kitchen, then all of a sudden one of the cabinets opens up.

Later on that evening we were in the living room again and heard footsteps coming up the basement stairs that stopped at the top, when we checked the door there was nobody there nor any sign of anybody having been there. The TV would change channels on its own (and always back to the same channel) but by far the most entertaining was that the stereo came on one night really late and went straight to playing Pink Floyd, so after that we decided the spook was OK if he was a floyd fan.

Background for the house included a previous owner giving up the ghost there; nothing funky happened until they had been moved in like a year or so and took down the un-engraved knocker plack(sp) on the front door. It could all have potentially more scientific explanations such as expansion/contraction of the materials in the latches of the cabinet doors, sleepwalking family and a faulty TV but I've never had the hair on the back of my neck stand up like it did that evening, so I'm inclined to trust the instincts on this one.

Apparently my area is pretty big for old hauntings, the hotel I used to work as had a specific haunted room which brought people all the time to check it out and stay in it, but when the place used to serve as a civil war hospital (and still has a slab for laying out a body on in the basement) its no surprise the place would be creepy.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Ninja Code Monkey
    My wife has had experiences with ghosts in her old Tennessee farm house and a relative's old house nearby.

I've only had creepy feelings while working graves doing security in some buildings down in Pioneer Square (buildings left over from when the goldrush was moving through Seattle to the north). Nothing to lead me to believe it was ghostly...but creepy none the less.

I do like how TAPS handles things. There is a local organization related to them that we have been considering volunteering for. It could be an interesting experience if nothing else.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

I've been thinking about some of the Old Churches here in Montreal to look at and my Fiancee REALLY wants to check out some places. She's just as into this as I am.

Syini, the radio coming on may have a reason like any electronic equipment but saying it's that and only that would be kind of not right with the other things you said.

The cabinets opening up, well, if the screws were REALLY loose and the humidity was different and so was the temperature in the house, OK maybe, but if it was a normal day and the screws weren't loose then I would probably freak out more so.

Foot steps are another thing, if there wasn't anyone in the basement and you opened the door and checked it out, then it's kind of hard to say that's normal too heh.

J, was your Wife scared or calm? Only askng because if you still have access there and want to do the volunteer work it miught be a good idea to bring it up to them as a place to check out if possible.

And sorry for taking so long to reply but this weekend was my 6 Month Anniversary with my Fiancee so I wasn't even near a computer heh.

Law of conservation of energy...energy can not be distroyed, it cna only change fromes. Our thaughts are nothing more then electrical impulse...and every living thing has a EM feild pulesing around them...what happens to that energy when conciousness leaves?
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

every living thing has a EM feild pulesing around them...what happens to that energy when conciousness leaves?
    It goes to the Glastonbury Tor!!!

(Glasonbury = town in England)
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Quote Originally Posted by bballad
    Law of conservation of energy...energy can not be distroyed, it cna only change fromes. Our thaughts are nothing more then electrical impulse...and every living thing has a EM feild pulesing around them...what happens to that energy when conciousness leaves?
    Well, if you're dead then there is no conciousness. No life=no electrical impulses. Although, recently dead people sometimes have residual nervous activity to freak out some poor cooriner.

When you die, the Law of Conservation of Energy stays intact. You become phospherous, amonia, calcium, water, carbon, potassium, etc etc. However, most of you just ends up as worm and microorganism poop. huzzah!
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

This is not my subject, but I came across this whilst researching lemurs (the primates)

http://shadowboxent.brinkster.net/lemurhome.html

Lemurs along with Meerkats are my favorite animals. I had an argument with my wife once about the status of lemurs vs. monkeys. Sorry off topic. That L.E.M.U.R. site has a paranormal cruise comming up into the Bermuda Triangle. How much fun would that be?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.