Thread: Panasonic's 103in plasma TV

Panasonic's 103in plasma TV

Like Slashdot says, if you can afford a room big enough to house it, you can probably afford the TV! Read the review on

Panasonic's 103 in plasma TV
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Holy crap, that costs way more than my car! You'd have to buy an insurance plan just for the TV!

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    That much money for a Panasonic product? I don't think so. Back in the day they had a bad rep for building products with cheap parts. In the 80's that is.

Correct me if IM wrong but don't those new plasma TVs only has a life of 4 to 6 years average, if that?

Computernerd: I don't think I'd get a plasma from panasonic that big. Actually, I wouldn't get a plasma that big at all.

My buddy at work got a 42inch one from panasonic with the ambilight feature. He's had to exchange it twice already and it's only 2 years old.

I think the life of the orignal plasmas were around 30,000 hours (~6-7 years) ? I think the new ones are around 60,000 hours (~12-13 years). I'm pretty sure thats continued use too... who watches tv that much? I'm good for 30 minutes to 1hr during the week to watch news. Maybe on the weekend I'll sit down for a 2hr movie.

Panasonic isn't horrible. I've had a tube TV from them for about 8 years now. My Sony only lasted 5 years...

Someone else I know already had a kickass surround sound system and was looking into all of the options for a larger screen. He put in a 110" ceiling mounted projection system. He painted the screen onto the wall. I don't get why people need such a big screen. Although, I did watch a couple of football games on it and it was pretty kick ass. I don't think I'd want to watch everyday tv on it all the time though. Especially becase we were only 12 feet from the screen. It kind of made me dizzy after a while.

I wanted to plug in my PC to it and play Half Life 2 or Farcry on it. Now, that'd be the ONLY reason I'd go for a screen that big. FPS!
    Last edited by phishphreek; April 18th, 2007 at 02:31 AM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I can only imagine how amazing WoW would look on that thing, coupled with a quality audio setup and raiding would actually be worth it just for the visuals!
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

The problem with games played on a wall would be the habit of looking over your shoulder to try and see people behind you :P

<edit>

The additional thought occurs - what the heck would that thing do to your leccy bill?
    Last edited by Aardpsymon; April 18th, 2007 at 02:21 PM.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Panasonic actually makes one of the best plasmas out there right now. They have been ranked in the top of the charts for sometime. As far as that large of a plasma... you'd have to have stupid money, i would get a HD projector instead. As far as life on them... Phish is right on with the life for them.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here