Thread: AD replication and exchange mail server

AD replication and exchange mail server

I currently have 3 boxes, my plan is to install ISA server 2004 on the first box, Active directory and DNS on the second box then replicate the Active Directory on the third box and install exchange 2003 and SMTP on it, do you think my plan can be done ? or should I install exchange 2003 on the same box where the DNS is (the second box)?

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    my plan is to install ISA server 2004 on the first box, Active directory and DNS on the second box then replicate the Active Directory on the third box
    I think that's a good plan. I wouldn't recommend putting any kind of server that accesses the internet on your domain controllers (especially a mail server). Most articles I read said that domain controllers and replicating partners should only have traffic limited to domain related processes.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

According to MS you should not have your exchange server also be a domain controller. When you say replicate AD to the third server I'm guessing that you mean you will make it a domain controller, and machine 2 will be the global catalog and FSMO owner?

If it is a very small organization with not a lot of users it will work, but you should really avoid having exchange on the same machine as a GC/DC.

Quote Originally Posted by mohaughn
    According to MS you should not have your exchange server also be a domain controller. When you say replicate AD to the third server I'm guessing that you mean you will make it a domain controller, and machine 2 will be the global catalog and FSMO owner?

If it is a very small organization with not a lot of users it will work, but you should really avoid having exchange on the same machine as a GC/DC.
    yea thats right I am thinking of making it a domain controller and machine 2 will bi the global catalog, but I dont know if it will work

It's a gas!
    It will work, but as mentioned it is not recommended. Have at look at this article.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    speaking of FSMO's -
    - Forest root domain - Schema Master and Domain Naming Master on the same machine, which should also host the Global Catalog.
    - Every domain - PDC Emulator and RID Master on the same machine, which should have beefy hardware to handle the load.
    - Every domain - Never place the Infrastructure Master on a machine that hosts the Global Catalog, unless your forest has only one domain or unless every domain controller in your forest hosts the Global Catalog
    Full article here: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...SMO-Roles.html
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton