Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: 31 Students killed at Virginia Tech

#4 tells me it was not some poor little wimps bullied by jocks?
    All the jock bullies in my school are now doing things like managing McDonalds are selling used cars. While I am playing Command and Conquer 3 in my kick ass office. Becasue its Friday and I am drained. Tiberium has turned me into a scrin...
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I just thought I would bring this into the discussion, the following snippet was just posted on CNN. It's an editorial comment made by Ted Nugent, who I am sure some of you know is an big gun right's activist and a member of the board for the NRA.

WACO, Texas (CNN) -- Zero tolerance, huh? Gun-free zones, huh? Try this on for size: Columbine gun-free zone, New York City pizza shop gun-free zone, Luby's Cafeteria gun-free zone, Amish school in Pennsylvania gun-free zone and now Virginia Tech gun-free zone.

Anybody see what theevil Brady Campaign and other anti-gun cults have created? I personally have zero tolerance for evil and denial. And America had best wake up real fast that the brain-dead celebration of unarmed helplessness will get you killed every time, and I've about had enough of it.

Nearly a decade ago, a Springfield, Oregon, high schooler, a hunter familiar with firearms, was able to bring an unfolding rampage to an abrupt end when he identified a gunman attempting to reload his .22-caliber rifle, made the tactical decision to make a move and tackled the shooter.

A few years back, an assistant principal at Pearl High School in Mississippi, which was a gun-free zone, retrieved his legally owned Colt .45 from his car and stopped a Columbine wannabe from continuing his massacre at another school after he had killed two and wounded more at Pearl.

At an eighth-grade school dance in Pennsylvania, a boy fatally shot a teacher and wounded two students before the owner of the dance hall brought the killing to a halt with his own gun.

More recently, just a few miles up the road from Virginia Tech, two law school students ran to fetch their legally owned firearm to stop a madman from slaughtering anybody and everybody he pleased. These brave, average, armed citizens neutralized him pronto.

Full Story posted at: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/19/com...ent/index.html

Cheers:
    DjM

I agree gun free zones are a total waste of time since it only takes one person to bring in a gun and make a mess.

However, I still stand by the point that if guns were less available less people would have them. Yes the bank robbers would have them, yes the terrorists would have them. No, school students generally wouldn't have them.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

England has been a "gun free zone" for many years.

1. You are not permitted to carry a loaded firearm in ANY PUBLIC PLACE.
    2. You cannot discharge a firearm within "x" feet of a public right of way.
    3. You are not permitted to own a firearm for self or property protection.

These regulations are not reflected in our crime statistics. The crime statistics simply show changes in our society, namely drugs and street gangs (who do not use legally owned weapons anyway).

Obtaining a firearm in England is quite easy. You have to prove that:

1. You are a suitable person.
    2. You have a good reason for possession.
    3. You have somewhere safe to keep it.
    4. You have somewhere safe to use it.

These regulations ensure (as far as is possible) that criminal activities involving legally owned firearms is kept to a minimum. In fact, apart from suicides, I cannot recall of even one incident in recent years.

In the case of the UK's school shooting (Dunblane, Scotland) the perp failed on #s 1,2 and 4.

A local police sergeant had filed a report that the guy was no longer fit to possess, but was overruled by his police chief.

What is required are:

1. Adequate regulations.
    2. Consistent regulations.
    3. Enforced regulations.

Incidentally, the perp at VT was 23 years old............ he wasn't a kid, and he started planning the event at least a month in advance. My advice to American gun enthusiasts is participate in controlling what you have, before you loose the lot.

this is one key problem with legally owned guns. There is the mandatory waiting period on guns. IE - if you loose your last marble and want to go on a shooting spree you need to wait 3 days. Seems like a good idea but of course that waiting period is useless if you already own a gun and loose your last marble, see what I mean?
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by gore
    School shootings are easy to prevent. If you see someone getting picked on, step in, stop it. Every school shooting I've seen was kids who got picked on and eventually couldn't take it anymore so they came in and mowed them down.

My Fiancee and I were talking about this earlier in the morning, if our kid ever comes home saying he picks on some kid at school and beats him and mentally abuses them like these kids go through I'll just pop a Columbine clip on youtube up and point.

Video games, gun, movies, music, none of that is half as deadly as mental and physical abuse that most people don't realise even happens in schools. I've seen people beaten badly in school by a group of kids and no one did a thing.

I used to get jumped about twice a day by a group of skinheads, stabbed ... I think 12 times... no one stopped them, and telling your Parents does NOTHING and makes it worse. They call the kids parents, the kids parents yell at him or talk to him about it, and the kid gets pissed he got ratted out, and does worse.

Or scenerio B:

Parent talks to school instead of other Parent. School does nothing but bitch at the kid, kid gets pissed at being ratted out, does worse.

Hmm.... Win win huh?

My idea:

Stop letting people walk all over kids at schools and the mental and physical abuse. I see parents saying "Oh we were kids too, we survived just fine, it'll toughen you up"....

Well those morons went to school before kids got stabbed in schools, shot in schools, and calling someone "A jive turkey with 4 eyes" is a lot different than shoving them in a bathroom and beating the **** out of them and then going home and talking about it on Myspace so the kid has no where to go to get away from it.

If you want to really solve it grab your kid and beat his ass for doing this type of thing.
    I agree. The bullies are way out of control. When I was in school, we got spanked when we acted up. It makes everyone think before they act like a fool. They don't want to look bad in front of their peers by getting spanked, so they seldom went over the line.
    My mother is a retired teacher. She taught before and after spankings where banned in public schools. She decided to retire when retirement was available to her because the students where out of control. She only stayed retired for about a year, then went back to teach a younger age group of students.
    Children that ridicule other children deserve to have their asses busted. None of them are any better than the other. There is no respect for others, and it shows. We need to get this problem under control and fast. No one deserves that crap!

Gun Ownership Mandatory In Kennesaw, Georgia --- Crime Rate Plummets

First off, my family and I have prayed for the VT victims, their families and the community every day since it happened.

I thought I would post this, it is kind of the anti-gun free zone.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1818862/posts

Hows that for a STAT?

I guess you can all guess where I stand on this issue
    \"If you take a starving dog in off the street and make him prosperous he will not bite you, this is the principle difference between a dog and a man\" - Mark Twain

Banned
    Gump > More reliable stats than yours show that:

- The US homicide rate is higher than any other industrialized country's because of the easy access to guns (Mark Duggan, "More Guns, More Crime", Journal of Political Economy 109, no.5 (2001), pp. 1086-1114).

- Guns aren't the whole story: in Switzerland, for example, there are WAY more guns per capita than in any other country, including the US (because of the rule that an adult male keeps his weapon after military duty).

- The main problem - one you don't seem to understand; if you did, you wouldn't post an article that only links "number of weapons" to "number of crimes" - is that the US has a retarded policy on who gets the weapons. It's not about getting weapons to those who need them (like they do in Switzerland); it's about keeping them out of the hands of those who are retarded (at which the US miserably fails).

In other words: linking the mandatory ownership of guns to crime rates plummeting is a STAT, indeed; unfortunately, there is no positive correlation between the two. What you're looking for in an argument is a statistic that has a positive or negative correlation (as in "There is a negative correlation between the number of guns owned and the number of violent crimes" - unfortunately for you, there isn't), not just a "STAT" (I have stats that say that my computer goes down every month or so, and I have stats that say that there's a full moon every month or so; your "STAT" would conclude that the full moon causes my computer to go down - How's that for a STAT?).

I won't even go into DjM's posting of Nugent's "arguments" - I was wondering why it took so long for somebody to post Nugent's illogical ramblings (I was expecting the Texan, though; not DjM!)

as I recall those guns in Switzerland are to be kept locked up at all times. (With 3 clips of ammo, or am I making that part up?) More to the point, every single person that has one has been well trained with it. They have not just walked into a shop and bought it, they have spent months practising with it, how to use it, how to use it SAFELY. Big difference.

Ard~,

I shall correct you.............. as a Swiss light machine gun champion...........

You have to have a nuclear fallout room/bunker in new and detached properties. You are supplied with steel cabinets to store the munitions you are supposed to have.......this is typically in the fallout shelter, which is a secure room anyways. I don't know how much in total............but far more than "three clips".......... you may only be issued with three magazines to fit the weapon, but that is only 60 rounds............. nothing like what you are issued in combat.

I would guess 500, as that is an "outer".

No, I am not Swiss, but I have been over there target shooting often enough