Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Dumb user

Well not necessarily, as I said there could be some combination of characters in this particular thread's emails that might be triggering some issue. Of course that same thing could be true of our mail server as well.

I don't think it's something we're ever going to solve
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Columbo would never give up this easy (sorry, american tv reference)

I'm not particularly giving up - just thinking everyone else must be bored rigid by this now once again, two emails, but one message showing in inbox. However, they weren't both marked read once I opened one. Though that may not happen immediately ..... because some I definitely did notice they were.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Well one thing I can do to help is to have our outgoing email checked to see if 2 of them are going out. That'll help us pinpoint at least where the responsibility lies.

Hi Moira,

Interestingly, they're showing as one item in my inbox, though it's two emails. And btw, no I am not reading my email online, why on earth would I want to do that when I have a splendid client like Thunderbird?
    Could you please do that, to see what it looks like when it arrives at your mail provider? We need to establish where the segregation of the message pairs is occuring?

I don't think it's something we're ever going to solve
    "A solution is something that one delegates to a minion, a manager simply defines the requirements"

I'm not particularly giving up - just thinking everyone else must be bored rigid by this now
    Actually, Moira, that should be exactly the opposite. Just suppose you could write a virus that did this to peoples' mail servers, clients and the like............... the impact on the Global Net would be enormous?

Sure, we know that there are two messages sent, BUT............. to make them actually show as two, when you only sent one?

Columbo would never give up this easy (sorry, american tv reference)
    That's why he never had time to take his overcoat to the cleaners...... the show is still getting re-runs over here. Hey, I can remember seeing it on monochrome TVs over here!

Moira:

Did my moving the thread from Tech Humour to General Chit Chat have any effect?

Could you post the detailed e-mail headers of one of these "pairs" (please remember to "xxxxx" out the personal details)

JPnyc:

Just because it isn't on your official development list doesn't mean that people are not looking at new applications and techniques for their future potential

OK // Back on Dumb user topic:

How about dumb developers?

Chief Accountant: "Johnno, those sales order processing amendments you did for us are fine, but everything runs real slow now?"

Me: "Sounds like a debugger problem to me"

Chief Accountant: " Right Johnno, it's a real bugger, but can you fix it?"

My man had moved it live, with the debugger still attached and running

Actually checking gmail (where my notifications go) was a good idea. There is only one copy there. Interestingly, only one copy came in this morning as well (even though there'd been two posts!). However moving the thread didn't actually have any impact, I was still getting two notifications last night.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature