Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: process1_initialization_failed

At about this time, I would dig out a trusty Win xxxxxx (can't give technically illegal advice here folks) CD and see if I could load that.

I am pretty sure that Bill Gates won't mind, as I am only using it for fault finding.

No point using a linux distro, as that is not what you are trying to load?

What I am suggesting is to try to find if ANY Windows will install. If it won't, then you have a hardware issue, but at least you know?

How is the motherboad picking up those dissimilar memory modules?

Have you tried a memtest on the board?

( never heard of that brand HD )
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

you never heard of kingston? there a pretty common brand. not as good as crucial but still good none the less. The board is picking up the ram just fine. I get to the windows load screen it goes for a second the reboots and gives me the error. Ive using the ram sticks one at a time still nothing. the processor and the mothboard are both brand new. i guess i could power down my system and use the ddr2 memory i have in there see if that helps any.

Ok i switched out the ram with the ddr2 from my computer got the same error but alot faster. Iva also tried this with multiple hard drives.

OK, first point:

Kingston is good memory, older firm and more expensive than Crucial

1. I suspect your board wants PC3200 as a minimum so stick with the DDR2 which should be 400 or 533?

2. Remove everything apart from the CD/DVD, mouse, keyboard, HDD and video.

3. Go into BIOS and make sure that you have the correct settings for video..........onboard or card.

If you have a sound card and speakers, remove them.

Try load another version of Windows?.......... note any error messages.

you never heard of kingston?
    Kingston yes, magnitic no.

When reading through the owner's manual it stated the board could use DDR or DDR2 ( but not at the same time. ) Specifically, “Supports DDR2 533 or DDR 400 Un-buffered Non-ECC memory”

That is why I was asking about the memtest. ( that, and I don't ever, er, almost never, mix chips like that: it is asking for trouble. )

Any chance the install became FUBARed because of the memory?

Can you boot to safe mode?

How about substituting the drive in another computer and seeing if it boots in there ( to check the actual install vs. hardware? I would make sure you removed the original OS harddrive on the test machine while doing so, so it doesn't get corrupted. )

Oh, and nihil, I don't know if things have changed, but on my side of the pond I have always found Crucial to be more expensive.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

ok good point does this mean my stick of ddr2 pc4200 crucial ram will not work on the board either?

does this mean my stick of ddr2 pc4200 crucial ram will not work on the board either?
    Ha! yea, I mean, no, I mean ...

ddr2 pc4200 is DDR2 533, so if it is Un-buffered Non-ECC memory it should work fine.

Just don't ask me where they got those two names for the same thing from!

edit:
    BTW,
    pc2100 is 266MHz
    pc2700 is 333MHz
    pc3200 is 400 Mhz
    Last edited by IKnowNot; June 1st, 2007 at 01:20 AM.

hey guys thanks for the help I think im just going to make my brother go back and but the same parts i used to build my computer. He needs to get upto date technology anyways. You were all very helpful thanks a bunch.

A little extreme, but hey.

Did you try putting the drive ( and only that drive ) in your computer to see if may be either the hard drive or the install itself?