Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Partitioning Software with Vista

Partitioning Software with Vista

Does anyone know of any non destructive partitioning software that works in Vista? Partition Magic doesn't seem to and I'd like to make the Vista drive on my laptop a bit bigger. With hindsight it was stupid to make the XP partition larger than the Vista one.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Disk manager in Vista has that built right in. They are already "dynamic" and you can extend and shrink partitions at will by right clicking them.

//EDIT hmmm... since you are dual booting I would back up the entire drive. You might have to edit the boot sector, not sure if vista takes care of that?????? Also if partitition magic doesn't work in Vista try doing it from XP. Have a floppy handy with the boot ini etc on it.
    Last edited by RoadClosed; May 31st, 2007 at 07:25 PM.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Oh, I didn't know that? Even the Home Premium version? Yeah, I've just had a look and you're right. I right clicked one of my drives and got "shrink volume" as an option, but not expand - probably because you need to shrink something first before it will let you expand a volume?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

That was quick! I edited my last post. Look at the bottom.

Yeah you can ONLY expand something if you have space. Back up!!!!

Try shrinking the XP drive and then I would reboot. I am sure Vista would take care of the boot sector but just be cautious.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Thanks that's good advice. In fact, I have recent acronis image copies of both the XP and Vista partitions, because I envisaged having to use disk manager to format the Vista drive from XP and add some space from the data drive, then go into Vista and delete the XP partition so that I got the space back for the data drive. But it's always edgy when you know the backup has to work or you're reinstalling Windows.

And by the way, Partition Magic wouldn't work in XP either - no idea why! The drives had question marks on and it came up with silly errors if I tried to do anything.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

The wy I understand it is if XP is ever upgraded to dynamic disks partition magic cannot work because of either licensing or they haven't figured the format. No expert just guessing. So either you upgraded them, they shipped that way or Vista did it. Since you have a backup go for it using Vista.
    West of House

Possibly Vista did it. I'll try shrinking and expanding volumes, it sounds very little trouble. And if the worst comes to the worst, I have got the aronis backups. It really never occurred to me that disk management could partition in Vista!

PS What's an XP dynamic disK?
    Last edited by Moira; May 31st, 2007 at 07:40 PM.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Oh... almost forgot, you can make a recovery disk from within the windows backup utility and boot from it should something horrible go wrong. Like a power outage!
    West of House

Or the boot menu getting confused - but that shouldn't happen if I'm just taking a few spare GB from XP. I don't know why I didn't have the sense to realise that partition would need to be bigger. I suppose I saw myself mainly using XP and just having Vista there to play around with a bit.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Moira,

Please remember to clear out the junk files and DEFRAGMENT first