Thread: Removing an email through Exchange 2003

Removing an email through Exchange 2003

My IT Manager has a user who sent an email externally and wants to recall the email without the user knowing it was recalled. I understand this is past the point of no return, but to look like superwoman, she wants a method of opening up exchange and deleting the email, so it looks like "everything" was deleted.

Can someone tell me how to open up a users mailbox in exchange and delete an email from the user's sent box?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF013.html

Is this what you mean, info?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Quote Originally Posted by snarkballz
    I hear not sending it in the first place works well?
    That usually works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MsMittens
    That is perfect!

ITG,

That doesn't make sense? don't you mean that your manager has a user who wants the mail recalled without the intended recipient knowing about it?

That is not possible by legal methods, IMO once it arrives at the recipient's mail server it is their property, and out of bounds.

Also be very careful and don't trust anyone at your place, particularly after what you have told us.

Remember that there are such things as notorised hard copies, electronic recovery copies (provided you have that turned on in Exchange), audit log copies, and that the message could well be stored on the local machine as well. Not to mention on backup tapes or whatever you guys use?

If all the user wants is to delete it, then why don't they just go ahead and do it? That is a legitimate function within Microsoft Exchange, but I don't think that it would cut much ice in front of a Grand Jury?

Incidentally, that application looks as if it might only work with inboxes rather than sent mail folders. After all, deleting something that is sent is pointless, and Microsoft know it, and the user can always delete their own records anyways.

Personally, I would just advise them to delete via the normal system, I certainly wouldn't have a hand in it! I would see no justification in risking making myself unemployable for people who obviously don't give a crap about me?

If you want to seem helpful, tell them to be sure to check for any cc. or bcc.s that may also have been sent?

Perhaps this guy could give them a few pointers?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2772471.stm

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    ITG,

That doesn't make sense? don't you mean that your manager has a user who wants the mail recalled without the intended recipient knowing about it?

That is not possible by legal methods, IMO once it arrives at the recipient's mail server it is their property, and out of bounds.

Also be very careful and don't trust anyone at your place, particularly after what you have told us.

Remember that there are such things as notorised hard copies, electronic recovery copies (provided you have that turned on in Exchange), audit log copies, and that the message could well be stored on the local machine as well. Not to mention on backup tapes or whatever you guys use?

If all the user wants is to delete it, then why don't they just go ahead and do it? That is a legitimate function within Microsoft Exchange, but I don't think that it would cut much ice in front of a Grand Jury?

Incidentally, that application looks as if it might only work with inboxes rather than sent mail folders. After all, deleting something that is sent is pointless, and Microsoft know it, and the user can always delete their own records anyways.

Personally, I would just advise them to delete via the normal system, I certainly wouldn't have a hand in it! I would see no justification in risking making myself unemployable for people who obviously don't give a crap about me?

If you want to seem helpful, tell them to be sure to check for any cc. or bcc.s that may also have been sent?

Perhaps this guy could give them a few pointers?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2772471.stm

I think from a legal prospective it depends on the country. AFAIK in the US corporate email is consider corporate property and as such can be deleted before the recipient sees it. In a previous job an employee sent a mail criticizing a project and providing salaries for several managers all the way up to the CTO. The mail was sent around 1130 and the Exchange team was able to have it deleted before most people were back from lunch.

I work for a Germany company and the German government has rules similar to what you describe. I agree that you should check with legal but it might be ok if your in the US (sorry can't recall you location).

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Hi -D,

I read this:

My IT Manager has a user who sent an email externally
    And took it to mean that the e-mail had left the corporation and reached another legal entity.

To access someone else's computer system and delete an e-mail would be a criminal offence both in the USA and in the EU.