Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: m$ exchange vs opera

I don't understand the complaint. Exchange supports opera and firefox. The OWA functionality is not as client like as you would see in internet explorer, but there is a downlevel OWA page that works with other browsers.

Exchange also supports POP3 and IMAP4.

If neither of these are working in your environment then your administrators have specifically turned off those functions.

tried thunderbird but could not get it to connect to owa
    Thunderbird is a pop3 or imap4 client. It will not be able to connect to OWA which is HTTP or HTTPS. Different ports, kind of a big deal. In most cases administrators also set these up as different name spaces.

Also all data is stored on the server...so you lose your computer...just get a new one and point to the mailbox..
    Depends on how you are configured. If you have a PST based inbox it is stored in your PST. Cached mode clients store the data in both locations.

For business I don't think anything out there compares to exchange 2007. Even from a security standpoint you are not going to get much better than what you can do with exchange 2007.

the fact work think they are going a step forward by breaking most staff's email clients really gets my bits
    This indicates that you don't really understand the bigger picture. I can assure you that your employers don't give a rodent's rectum about the preferences of yourself or your co-workers. If they did, you might have been consulted, but you weren't were you?

As perceived by your management, this is all about business efficiency and cost effectiveness. As far as their staff are concerned it is a simple case of "Marche ou creve"

The two most common solutions that I have worked with are MS Exchange/Outlook and Lotus Notes. They are pretty standard in a lot of organisations.

The basic objectives of your management are:

1. Standardise desktops.
    2. Standardise operational applications.
    3. Standardise processes and procedures.
    4. Improve processes and procedures through business re-engineering.
    5. Improve collaberation and communications throughout the business.

All this is intended to improve the efficiency and competitiveness (or effectiveness) of the business, to improve SLAs and to reduce support costs.

Their next move will be to ban all non-approved software (something they should have done years ago). There is no place for desktop anarchy in the workplace.

I have seen this done many times in numerous environments. It is not in the least bit unusual.

The only thing that might be questioned is whether "best of breed" applications have been selected for the solution, and whether the implementation plan has been well thought out?

This is not just a simple "let's get a new mail system" exercise........... it is much broader and deeper than that.

The basic objectives of your management are:

1. Standardise desktops.
    2. Standardise operational applications.
    3. Standardise processes and procedures.
    4. Improve processes and procedures through business re-engineering.
    5. Improve collaberation and communications throughout the business.
    <sarcasm>Damn, you'd think they owned the place.</sarcasm>
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.