Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Science?

I know a few people that will still be around then.
    Mad Beaver

MsM - pffft.

Everybody else - It won't take 100 years to discredit these morons or their cockamamie ideas. Patience is a virtue, be virtuous.

Remember, Save a cow, eat a vegetarian.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I can't speak for the world, but there is a definate climate change in my area. 15 years ago, we used to get lots of snow during our winter. For the past ~8 years, it has rapidly declined. Now we barely see snow in the city, and not much more in our mountains. The winters are very mild, and warm, very unusual for our climate. Summers have been getting progressivly warmer year after year as well. This year, we broke nearly all of the previous records, and also had a record number of >100 degree days, also unusual for our climate.

As I said, I dont know about the rest of the world, but things are for sure heating up here, year after year, it gets worse. Soon there will be no snow here at all.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    I can't speak for the world, but there is a definate climate change in my area
    Cross,
    Yeah, they're are definite climate changes, some more obvious than others. But, I don't think anyone in this thread is challenging climate change. I think the cause of climate change is what's coming under fire. Are humans causing it? Is it a natural process? etc.

I don't know enough about earth sciences to say one way or the other.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Next thing you know, they'll say Pluto's NOT a planet. Wait...

Tim

What constantly strikes me about global warming is how small the focus of most papers about it is. Prime example: I read on the register something about the formation of so many new icebergs from the icecaps was causing shrimp to boom thus locking carbon in shrimp crap at the bottom of the sea.

Ok, so this will help reduce global warming. How does the effect of this compare to the output of all the cars in the UK? I suspect its relatively minor. My point here is that all these people seem to lock their sights on one little detail then tell us how it will affect GLOBAL warming. Strikes me that there will be no real answers until someone looks at the GLOBE as a WHOLE.

Noone can deny that the climate is changing, as others have said when I was young I remember a lot more snow than there is now and this is the worst summer I have ever seen. (Hello Mr Sun, where are you?) But as yet I have not seen anyone conclusively and convincingly state that
    1) This change is going to continue to dangerous levels
    2) That change will actually generate real problems not just a matter of "well, now we use this land to grow pineapples not wheat and this land that was formerly a frozen waste to grow wheat"
    3) This change is man made.

To expand on #3, there is evidence that 400 years ago it was a good 5C warmer than it is now on average. There is also evidence that thousands of years ago it was a lot COLDER. Some people think that Earth is just defrosting from the last ice age still.

In short: We have no idea what is going on with the globe. We don't have the data and we don't have the processing power. We all know how wrong tomorrows weather report can be yet we trust these idiots to say that the global temperature will increase over the next 20 years?
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

aardpsymon: I doubt that it was a lot warmer 400 years ago as we where i nthe midst of a mini ice age then...the little freez, caused a lot of bad (and soem good) things like the french revolution. basicly you got your dates wrong...1000 years ago was the Medival warming period, where it was warmer (RCD of the sargaso sea show that the seas temp was about 1C warmer then). these are irrelivant ot the curent discuession though as they where both regional occurances. both temperature changes only happend in the northern hemisphe no signs of drasticly idfrent temperatures world wide like we see in a true ice age or the truly global warmign that we are seeing now.

and generaly speaking they get the weatehr report right, you just don't understand it (take chance of rain for instance, they say a 20% chance of rain...that actualy means that it will be raining over 20% of the area that they cover)
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

oh and aardpsymon there is evidance that one of the causes of the little ice age was teh black death, killing off most of europ, and a lot of the catall, alloing reforistation to ocurre, removeing the human caused green house gases and pullign carbon from the atmosphere......
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Quote Originally Posted by rcgreen
    I would bet money on it, if I thought I would be here to spend
    my earnings. Every day, most people "bet" on the future by
    having children. The societies with the highest birth rates
    have the greatest faith in the future, and they will own the world.

The people of the future will laugh at our generation the way we laugh
    at the generation that blamed the bubonic plague on Jews "poisoning
    the wells". We think we know so much. If that is true, why do they have to
    destroy science textbooks every 20 years or so? To hide their embarrassment,
    that's why.
    Well I have a simple logical question: HOW and WHY do you think that higher poplulation increase rate societies have more faith in future? I am from ..... (look at the side to know my location) and you know very well (I suppose) how good is my country in increasing the poulation rates.

I live here and I must say I am originally from one of the very very high population rate areas. I do not see that people have faith in future.... they are afraid of future. If you were here, you too would have heard the words like "god knows what will happen tomorrow" or "The earh is bad place to live in" and things like that.

They have no faith in anything at all... and certainly they wont rule... yes there are people from the same places who are highly ambitious and talented and your statement might hold true when it comes at them. But fro the rest of the society .... Sorry to say but .... you are ABSOLUTELY wrong.

PS: Sorry for going off topic.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

The whole doomsday thing is human nature. We have always thought the world is going to end in our generation. Normally it has been the religious groups leading the charge. Of course now this new earth pseudo-science seems to be a large group of people's new religion. So I guess nothing has really changed at all.
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.