Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: outlook can't send emails

Question outlook can't send emails

Back with another issue in my outlook 2003 experience.

I am replying to an email as I usually do many times a day and all of the sudden when I click on send I get an error msg that says, "The Operation Failed".

So I keep trying and keep getting the same msg. I have seen this happen to some people when they hit send/recieve, but not just when replying to an email.

Something doesn't seem to be right here and I was wondering if anyone came across this in the past? Other times everything in outlook seems to be fine, but why would it fail to send an email that is no different than any other email that I or anyone else sends throughout the day.

Do I need some sort of fix for outlook or word (since that is the email editor) or perhaps repair outlook or something else?

Any light you can shed would be great as I am stumped currently. Thanks.
    It's not a war on drugs it's a war against personal freedoms!

Question

Have you checked your email account settings? Also are you using any anti spam programs to filter your incoming/outgoing emails?
    check your firewall settings and make sure that it's letting outlook send and recieve on the needed settings.

just a few quick ideas.

Try sending a new e-mail and type the address. You can copy and paste the original message if you want to include it in your reply.

Does the error message have a number?

Is there anything about it in your logs (event viewer)?

If you are only having problems with one item I would suspect a corrupted header.............you may not be able to see the corruption.

P.S. The normal cause of this is a corrupt profile in Outlook, but I would expect you to get the problem for more than just a single item.
    Last edited by nihil; August 17th, 2007 at 02:28 PM.

Just Another Geek
    Please see my reply on the hangups on the fileserver issue.. I do believe you have some serious (dns/name) resolving issues that need to be addressed.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Seems that the outlook issues are not related to the hangup issues. I will try and mess with the firewall.

I do think your right Nihil that creating a new profile would end this and the other problem I am experiencing. I'll give it a try.
    It's not a war on drugs it's a war against personal freedoms!

Hi, Blunted One,

Please try a manual reply as I suggested. If you are getting this very regularly then I would suspect profile corruption. If it only happens every now and then, with specific messages then I would suspect the message itself.

If you go for creating a new Outlook profile you may want to rename it and create a copy (that frequently works?). Please remember to use the import/export utility to bring your .pst file across

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Going along with the profile being messed up, here is what I did when encountering strange things like this. This is of course assuming you have the .pst files backed up to the users shared folder. (you do don't you?)

Many times getting te system back up asap is more pressing then figuring out what happened. (investigate after services are restored methodology)

1) Restart computer.

2) Log on as local admin

3) Right click "My Computer", choose props, advanced tab.

4) Click Settings under "User Profiles" and delete the corrupted profile.

After this, go into the docs and settings and delete and left overs under their username.

recreate the user and reinstall OL and reconfigure for your exchange server.

Other thoughts:

Check the AD users settings and mailbox store.

Check local event logs for any credential failure audits for failed logon attempts.

Check Exchange Administrator for more details, and the exchange servers logs. Something may be pointing to it there.

Check for dns issues in getting to the email server, create a temp hosts possibly. a good ole "ipconfig /flushdns" never hurts.

Well, there are some thoughts. gl

-xmad
    Last edited by xmaddness; August 18th, 2007 at 05:22 AM.

yeah looks like a dns issue , make sure that exchange it self is connecting to the global catalog/FSMO server ( your main domain controller ) ...

make sure the clients in your network are resolving the internal exchange server name , check your DNS records ...
    or add it permanently to the hosts file under c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Well, I read:

but why would it fail to send an email that is no different than any other email that I or anyone else sends throughout the day.
    Perhaps it is my understanding of the English language, but I took that to mean that it was a single, and specific e-mail message that was proving problemmatic?

I think that we need some clarification here?

AOs Resident Troll
    The bounce would be helpful....or the exact error message

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer