Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your hobbies aside from tech stuff?

There are some mountains with awesome hiking trails about 45 minutes from me, as soon as it cools off in the next few months I'll probably go out and start hiking on the weekends. But it is too hot for that right now, it was 104 °F today and that felt cool compared to how hot it usually is.

Cooking seems like a great hobby also. I mean I have to eat regardless, so I might as well get good at it and cook something tasty cheap and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    New York, California, Florida or Texas would do just as well.
    Actually I live in Arizona so plenty of Mexicans here and real Mexico is only 3 hours away.

I actually think that I will look into learning at least the very basics of spoken Spanish, at least just enough to get by. It would be awesome to be able to take vacations on the beach in Mexico, it is so close and so inexpensive but not speaking Spanish always holds me back.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Clubbing, Partying, Running, Kickboxing, Surfing, Snowboarding, Jiu-Jitsu and getting drunk sometimes.

Clubbing what?

Banned
    We're hard-core mountain bikers... I'd give anything to be able to ride in Arizona (it might be a little bit warmer than it is here - in Dallas - but it's not nearly as humid; I don't care about the temperature anymore, it's the humidity I don't like). We hit the trails in 100+ weather for hours in a row all the time; with the proper gear (and a Camelback!), you'll be fine

That, and R/C cars...

You mean that there is life outside of computers?!

I like doing a lot of outdoor activities. One of our favorite things to do outdoors lately is hiking. There's nothing like strapping on your day pack and heading onto trails at sunrise. We go for as little as 2 miles all the way through 18 miles so far. It just depends on how we feel and the conditions.

Other than that, life trails, mountain biking, roller blading, fishing, camping, canoeing, ocean kayaking, hanging out at the pool, hanging out on the beach, jet skiing etc. We just started rock climbing... but I have a lot of upper body strength work to do before I can do that more frequently.

During the winter I don't do as much... but I do try to go skiing at least a half dozen times a winter. It was harder in the past because we didn't have all of our own gear. Now we finally do. Since I can't get outdoors, I'll hit the gym 3-5 days a week. During the warm seasons, the outdoors is my gym.

Otherwise, we don't have a lot of hobbies inside. We tend to get lazy inside and sit on the computers, watch tv/movies, and normal chores. I've become more and more interested in cooking and I love cooking on my weber q 300. Since I'm in an apartment, I had to go small/portable... but it cooks just was well!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I'm a husband and dad so when I have personal free time (I don't begrudge the time I spend with family) I teach, hunt, fish, camp, and hike.

Luckily some of these passions are shared by family members so I can maintain them and family ties as well.

Parenting branched me into another hobby as well. Youth mentorship. While participating in the sports, scouts etc etc with my kids, I've met legions of kids whose parents are too busy, not educated or just ill equipped when it comes to raising kids.

It would be easy to turn my back on these kids, they're not my kids, but 20 years from now I'd be pissing and moaning that society is getting worse.

One of my non family kids upon making Eagle Scout honored me at his ceremony saying I was his mentor and he wouldn't have been there if it weren't for me. I was in tears. I couldn't imagine a more rewarding "hobby"
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

My kids, swimming, MMA, drums, guns, drawing---in that order.

Tim

I'll do anything. I read a fair bit, enjoy cooking every now and again. I play piano occasionally, used to play guitar. I'd do more interesting things but what with working on buying a house I'm broke :P
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

AOs Resident Troll
    Camping, cooking, gardening, reading historical fiction, crosswords
    Playing guitar\singing\jamming...

drinking :biggrin:

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I love videogames. Some may argue that's not a hobby, but I disagree. Try playing 40+ hours on an RPG and say you haven't accomplished anything

Besides that, however...

I love to cook. I have several cookbooks that I try different recipes from, as well as my own concoctions.
    I go to the gym every second day (mostly) and I love to play Hockey and Golf.
    I have an aquarium and love to learn about aquatics (?) (not the word for it, is it)
    I also have a telescope that I do some star gazing from time to time (check out Starry Night Backyard, wicked software for it)

Besides that, I'm a big Movie buff, as well as a TV geek. I have a huge collection of TV series on DVD. We last bought Bones and How I met your mother on DVD (both season 1)

My info