Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exchange Server Sluggish

AOs Resident Troll
    Excellent

Thanks Phish

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to phishphreek again.
    MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AOs Resident Troll
    Just to add to the OP questions....if Exchange is acting up...it usually will spew errors in the Event Viewer.

Any errors in there??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Is this exchange standard or enterprise? If it is standard you need to be watching your total database size. It is limited to 16 gb in standard. If you have two mailboxes that are 6-8gb a piece, you could be close.

But that will actually keep the store from mounting, so probably not the cause of what you are seeing, but be aware of it.

I'm really suprised that nobody has mentioned doing performance monitoring. That is where I would start. Run ExBPA in health mode and have it do a two hour health check. It will check disk IO, CPU, and memory utilization. If you have a hardware issue that will probably find it.

You can also just follow the general MS troubleshooting performance guide, it tells you exactly what perf counters to monitor and what is acceptable levels.

I also would not use the /3gb switch unless you totally understand how that will impact kernel memory and the ramifications of that switch. You need to have more than 1GB of memory for it to be of use. ExBPA should have picked this up if you need to use it.
    Last edited by mohaughn; August 21st, 2007 at 04:13 PM.

Really?

I do love all these answers

errr what about KISS?

The FIRST thing you do is check the physical capacity of the system.

If it is too full it will run slow and crap out........... EOS?

I guess there is something in the saying "If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail"?????????????????

Only when you know that it is not a simple physical limitation problem, do you advance to more sophisticated possibilities.

Nihil- In my opinion using perfmons or the ExBPA health check will point out any obvious performance or physical capacity issues. That is why I was saying I would not just run out making changes without first trying to understand what exactly is happening. Honestly, given the number of questions and complaints around exchange here recently I think the most prudent step would be some exchange administration training for the OP. Just my take though.

mohaughn: I did recommend to run exBPA, troubleshooting tool and performance monitor in my post. It was just burried in a lot of "brainstorm troubleshooting"... lol That's exactly how I think when I just wake up and I'm drinking my coffee. I either brainstorm troubleshoot or play suduko... then I can get ready for the day.
    Last edited by phishphreek; August 21st, 2007 at 10:39 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

mohaughn,

That is why I was saying I would not just run out making changes without first trying to understand what exactly is happening. Honestly, given the number of questions and complaints around exchange here recently I think the most prudent step would be some exchange administration training for the OP. Just my take though.
    I couldn't agree more! Sure all the suggestions are fine, but I just have this gut feeling that we have a sort of "bigger picture" issue here?

I am sort of imagining a mature installation with an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Everything works fine until you start to hit capacity thresholds, then everything falls apart in most unpredictable ways.

There certainly doesn't seem to be any kind of preventative maintenance philosopy in place?

Also, we are told that this is not a dedicated server............. I wonder how much that clouds the issue?