Thread: When you have an interview, what do you do?

Post When you have an interview, what do you do?

Hey All,

I have an interview tomorrow for a position called IT SQL Database Developer. (within the same company)

It's a job I would love to have compared to my current position and I was wondering what other people on AO do before an interview to become the desired candidate?

Hi,

I research the company (not relevant if you already work there). I then try to be the most qualified candidate. I would review all the position requirements and ensure that I can speak to all the requirements and answer any questions that might be raised about those requirements.

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Ask questions............

Career progression, training, interaction with user community........... that sort of stuff.

Give the impression of an onwards and upwards sort of guy, not one of the "cube drones"

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Quietly poison the other candidates. LOL

Good luck with the interview my advice is late for you.

I try to psyche the interviewer (and myself) to feel that we're on the same team. I try to eliminate the desk, table etc thats between us. I try to get on a side of the interviewer. A good ruse is some how to share the paper the interviewer is reading from.

I try to impart that I can and will help the interviewer in the desired position. I would play my experience in the company, the references are easy enough to check.

I leave the interview with a send off like "I look forward to the opportunity of working with you, if I can help you further with the decision please feel free to contact me. Thank you for your consideration, I look forward to hearing from you."
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

dspeidel has covered the big one I would mention. Don't forget the little details. Make sure you are well presented, polish your shoes, wear your best suit etc etc.

Eye contact is important. Sleep well the night before. Don't obsess about it, its only a job.
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

Just Another Geek
    One last thing, be yourself

If you don't know an answer to a question, tell them you don't know. Don't try to talk your way out of it. It'll make you look like an a$$.
    Last edited by SirDice; August 25th, 2007 at 01:08 PM.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.