Thread: Tracing IP

tracing ip

I want to trace the ip (i.e. location) of the person who is sending me the scrap on my orkut scrapbook.
    please give the guideline.
    how can i trace that person from the scrap wriiten by him.
    moni

Do you have his IP address? Or are you asking if you can get the IP from the scrap he wrote and then trace it?

i ahve'n the ip address only the message sent to me , is there any way to find the ip from that message
    moni

Just Another Geek
    Stop... It's futile anyway.. Even if you know the IP there's no way to link that to a person or location. At most you will find out the ISP involved..

Also think about proxies, tor etc. which will effectively "hide" the senders IP..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I don't know much about okrut. I created a basic profile once but never started using it. But, normally you can't find out that type of stuff.

Do they have privacy settings that you can set to only allow messages/comments/profile view by people who are already your "friend"?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I agree with SirDice, its not like you can put it in an ip and an address comes out :-P

yaaa i am also agree with your point but their must be some method to find it out.
    people using cyber cafes are generally not used proxy server ,they only think thats creating a id with without giviing actual details is sufficient to hide their the identity.
    moni

Well, if okrut allows you to linke images or your own content, then why not host your own content. Anyone who loads that content will be in your logs. Then just use something like awstats to analyze the data.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

actually i am not exactly getting what you said plz expalin me it.
    moni

Hi, phish~ can give you the technical details but the concept is that if you host your own content on another site that you control, you can use the logs of that site to see who connects?

Now, if you can put a link on the orkut site that gets the surfer to load the content of your personally controlled site............... their details will appear in that (your) site's logs.

The fact that this information might be totally spurious has already been discussed.

1. A public proxy.
    2. An "owned" machine
    3. An "unwitting" proxy
    4. Tor, or similar
    5. A free wireless hotspot
    6. An unsecured wireless connection
    7. A public connection (library etc.)
    8. Somebody else's machine (school, university, work)